🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Design Docs for genres that don't exist - yet

Started by
3 comments, last by Luxury 23 years, 9 months ago
I am currently writing a design doc for a game that up until now the genre hasn''t existed. But with the advent of next generation consoles, it is very much a reality in the future. The only game that I could compare my idea to, would be the upcoming Dynasty Warriors 2 for PS2. Of course I can''t be sure because the game isn''t even out yet! So I just want to get some input on how to write up a decent design doc that gets my ideas across to people. What should I do to show that this game truly is different from other games? How can I prove to developers that it really is a possibility to develop? (and not too hard either). I guess that I should let you know a little about my game (but not too much!). If I had to summurize it into todays genres, it would be the following: RTS/Puzzle game, that changes into a 3rd Person/FPS game and back again, depending on how you play. Sorry...don''t have time to finish this post. I''ll edit it later. (ah, the beauty of editing!) -Luxury Founder of SLRF
Advertisement
How would you go about concocting a design doc for an established genre? The rules don''t really differ insofar as the doc''s I''ve seen.

If you''re sending a doc to a developer for even a mainstream concept you''re going to have to argue just as passionately wrt to concept, technological feasibility, market appeal, cost, etc. etc. etc. Remember, all games have to show that they''re truly different, even if they''re clones of a popular game.

So I''d recommend getting your core concept down, what I''ve heard called the soul of your game. This is sort of like the TV or movie summary that says what your game is all about.

This will help guide the rest of your doc and keep you on track. Then you can fill out the details in terms of gameplay, story, sound, graphics, etc.

BTW, I''d work on getting your core concept down to a few words so you can communicate it easily. For instance, I''m working on a role-playing empire game (tho'' I often call it an RPG just for expediency''s sake on this board).

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Wavinator : sorry, I just thought about something, do you know Birthright ? Because it''s an AD&D campaign setting (don''t brush it off right now), with a twist. You play kings, archbishops, archmages, and so forth. You have to deal with diplomacy, you have to rule your kingdom, and once in a while, you have to go on a Hooly Crusade or a Quest for the Grail, and mightily kick some unholy butt... just thought you might want to check it out !

(sorry this is totally OT)

but Luxury, if I might ask something ? Is your game related to a kid game ? I''d really like to know ? Could you try to make a comparison ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Like I said...the only game i''ve ever heard of that is comparible would be the upcoming Dynasty Warriors 2.
But if i had to summarize the game into one sentence, it would go something like this:

A strategy / ancient battle simulator where the player can choose from any number of characters to assume the role of a soldier during the battle in a 3rd/1st person perspective.

Of course this is really stripped down, but you get the idea (i hope). comments?

-Luxury
quote: Original post by ahw

Wavinator : sorry, I just thought about something, do you know Birthright ? Because it''s an AD&D campaign setting (don''t brush it off right now), with a twist. You play kings, archbishops, archmages, and so forth. You have to deal with diplomacy, you have to rule your kingdom, and once in a while, you have to go on a Hooly Crusade or a Quest for the Grail, and mightily kick some unholy butt... just thought you might want to check it out !

Yes, I''ve seen and played this. Was a bit too complex for me to get into the first time, but I may give it another crack.

And to be little on topic, imagine the design doc for a game like that! The biggest problem must''ve been pushing it to the execs. ("What genre is it?" the marketing weasels ask. "Uh, it''s an RPG RTS empire side scroller top down strategy game..." )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement