🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do we need writers? (branching of Landfish posting)

Started by
24 comments, last by felonius 23 years, 9 months ago
Runemaster and MadKeithV,
I know what you mean, but don''t get stuck in terminology, OK? The game is just like a book and you need good writing skills in everything, NPC''s and dialogues and descriptions and story. If you want to call him game designer, that doesn''t make him a non-writter.
And if you want the PC to decide all these, you still need a writter to write the punchlines and to design the NPC sterotypes
(if I understamnd your point correctly).

(To avoid misunderstandings, I include my definition of a writter:
Writter: Everybody who can master the language in order to build creative and fascinating concepts)

We Shall Overcome!
Advertisement
Runemaster and MadKeithV,
I know what you mean, but don''t get stuck in terminology, OK? The game is just like a book and you need good writing skills in everything, NPC''s and dialogues and descriptions and story. If you want to call him game designer, that doesn''t make him a non-writer.
And if you want the PC to decide all these, you still need a writer to write the punchlines and to design the NPC sterotypes
(if I understamnd your point correctly).

(To avoid misunderstandings, I include my definition of a writer:
Writer: Everybody who can master the language in order to build creative and fascinating concepts)

We Shall Overcome!
We Shall Overcome!
This actually quite amusing,

gamedev.net has aforum for designers and now one for writers, but everybody seems to have different definitions of these concepts. :-)

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
quote: Original post by BigBrother
(To avoid misunderstandings, I include my definition of a writer:
Writer: Everybody who can master the language in order to build creative and fascinating concepts)

Well then you say writers and programmers/software designers are in fact the same thing. Just change the language from "English" to "C++".
That''s why I disagree with your definition, I think a writer is someone who can use natural language to build a coherent, single work of creative writing towards a defined purpose.
With random generation, you could call the person that does the building blocks a "writer" but those will be very small pieces. The total of the game won''t be "written", any more than it it "designed". Kindof like emergent behaviour..

[ and PS. felonius, that''s why I didn''t really want a Game Writing forum to appear.... ]

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Ain''t it nice to be ignored when you have a good argument

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Some things are better left untold ...
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement