🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Choosing character death in char-gen

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
Human are pretty fragile when it comes to the amount of ways we can die. We can be suffocated, poisoned, shocked to death, vital organs damaged etc. How about if you were allow to choose which way your character can be killed during the character generation process. If every character wasn''t human. They could be monsters, gods, avatars, spirits, cyberpunks or somethings else. I''ll take cyberpunks for example. If everyone choose a cyberpunk for their character they could then choose the way they could be killed. From the game design perspective this would put an entirely new spin on PK''ing and Guilds. You couldn''t just walk into a game and start killing players becuase you would have to know what their weaknesses are first. It probably wouldn''t change a game that much but i would be a interesting like nick nack to have in a game i think. Players would have a set minimum amout of weaknesses to choose from in character generation. Imagine playing a game where you couldn''t be killed from physical violence. Your enemies had to suffocate you to kill you and you could only kill them by shocking their character somehow. Player Killers would have to conspire to kill you which would make for some very emotion gameplay/yes? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
are you talking about an Achilles syndrom sort of thing ? The characteres would be immortal, EXCEPT if you cut their heads, attack them with silver weapons, expose them to kryptonite, etc ?
I am not sure whether it''s good or not, but I like the idea.

But as I said somewhere else (and as most people seem to just ignore it I''ll say it again ) what you are trying to do is fix something broken... maybe you should start and use your brainpower to figure out a new way to play that would avoid all those problems.

first off, WHY is there Player Killing ? (I have one answer, but what do you think ?)

but anyway, I didn''t mean to be offensive, I actually would love to play a Highlander game

There can be only one !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw

are you talking about an Achilles syndrom sort of thing ? The characteres would be immortal, EXCEPT if you cut their heads, attack them with silver weapons, expose them to kryptonite, etc ?
I am not sure whether it''s good or not, but I like the idea.

In a way yes and in a way no. It would be more a case of the players having to work out peoples and enemies weaknesses. Rather than using the same old weapon over and over and over again. Maybe you could kill anything by hacking at them for long enough but a smart player will prod and poke to find enemies weaknesses. What i''m attempting to bring to light here is the need for more interlectual stimulation in rpg combat systems. Bringing in the thoughtful "Rock, Paper, Scissors" mentality from rts''s but in a way that is relative to a rpg. As you can see, you''re thinking Achillies heal and i''m thinking rock, pap, scis. They are similar but not the same thing *squinting*

quote:
But as I said somewhere else (and as most people seem to just ignore it I''ll say it again ) what you are trying to do is fix something broken... maybe you should start and use your brainpower to figure out a new way to play that would avoid all those problems.

I don''t understand? Was that along the lines of "if it ain''t broke don''t fix it" because thats a comment that tears me apart when i hear it being used in relation to game design The PK bit that i mention was just an "observation" of what changes this idea would have on a rpg. One of my processes is "Change-Observe-Learn".

quote:
first off, WHY is there Player Killing ? (I have one answer, but what do you think ?)

Easy, the same reason people play games.. for fun. Is that what you meant or was that a different more technical question?
quote:
but anyway, I didn''t mean to be offensive, I actually would love to play a Highlander game

There can be only one !

You just gave me an interesting thought. "What if" all weapons in the game where average and special weapons had to be made by the player (aka Highlander ). The higher your level the better the weapons you can make. Or something along these lines, hmmmm

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham
I don''t understand? Was that along the lines of "if it ain''t broke don''t fix it"

No no no, certainly not, if I ever say something so stupid, slap me ! What I meant was, if it''s broken, don''t try fixing it again and again, but rather try something new ? (which is why I posted the Simulacres system in the Thoughness thread, BTW)

As for the question of PKilling, I see two options, either the guy is playing the wrong game, and he should be playing a Quake like, but since he''s mouse challenged (he has no skillZ), he decided that playing a *cough*RPG*cough* was a good way to brag without sweating too much...
The other option is more ''rolistic'' IMO, and is the kind of behaviour that veteran P&P roleplayers sometimes adopt : change the game to something different. When you have been playing a P&P RPG campaign and your character is now able to defeat most eisting creatures ... what do you do to get a bit of challenge. For a CRPG, the answer is "try to defeat the best AI existing : the human brain". It''s what I would call necessary evil, in fact. We talk and talk about PKillers just like we talk about Campers in Quake like, jsut like we talk about the Monsters under the bed ...
We fear them, but what we wouldn''t give to be at their place

To come back on topic, your idea is very interesting as it would turn the PK experience into an even more challenging one.
The way I see it done, players would start all equals. But for the price of a weakness, they could gain an advantage. I mentioned this before, but I think it makes even more sense here. Say you would be extremely strong (more than the average), but you would have one thing that would make you damn weak. I gave the examples of Superman, a vampire, a werewolf, an immortal, as general examples and to show that the idea is indeed very much used. Now you would just have to make every character/player choose its own weakness/Strength at the beginning.

For the weapon thingie, what about runic weapons where you have to go on a quest and look for different reagents before you can do it (the principle of the quest for the Grail).

youpla :-P
Ooh. Nifty idea. I think it might actually have some interesting effects on PKing... if combat is fairly risky (which it certainly would be, if you didn''t know the specific weaknesses -or- the overall strength of your opponent) then people probably won''t fight without reason. If they -do- have reason (even if it''s just because they''re a PK''er and they like killing people) then they''re probably going to try to find out as much info about someone as they can, first. Spy on them, talk to other people, listen for rumors... which could be planted by the potential victim, of course. All sorts of intrigue... you could see people bluffing, pretending to be much stronger types, or the opposite, pretending they''re mere mortals, and preying on anyone who tries to prey on -them-.

I think it sounds like fun... I''d definitely use different character types, though, rather than letting the player choose a few completely unrelated weaknesses and strengths. I don''t know, that just doesn''t seem to make sense... unless you could explain it in-game, somehow. Like the players are all AIs who finally saved up enough credits to buy cyborg bodies, and they have to pick and choose features... or something like that. *g*

-Moth
quote: by ahw
For the weapon thingie, what about runic weapons where you have to go on a quest and look for different reagents before you can do it (the principle of the quest for the Grail).

Unless you beat me too it, i'll give it some thought so we can start a new thread on this. It sounds like something fun to talk about

quote:
Say you would be extremely strong (more than the average), but you would have one thing that would make you damn weak. I gave the examples of Superman, a vampire, a werewolf, an immortal, as general examples and to show that the idea is indeed very much used. Now you would just have to make every character/player choose its own weakness/Strength at the beginning.

yes, and these weakness and strengths mustn't change too much during the game i'm thinking. Otherwise people will work out ways not to have any weakness at all which would ruin a lot of the beauty of this system.
quote:
All sorts of intrigue... you could see people bluffing, pretending to be much stronger types, or the opposite, pretending they're mere mortals, and preying on anyone who tries to prey on -them-.

More brain stimulating stuff. That's what's lacking in crpg's these days. They're just the same old formula over and over again.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on September 6, 2000 2:35:50 AM
quote: As for the question of PKilling, I see two options, either the guy is playing the wrong game, and he should be playing a Quake like, but since he''s mouse challenged (he has no skillZ), he decided that playing a *cough*RPG*cough* was a good way to brag without sweating too much...

I have a question, why do these two genre’s rpg and fps have to be separate? One of the things I love about rpg’s is to develop a unique character, while in fps there is actually a level of skill gained over time that differentiates players as opposed to just what character they have. An expert quake player always has the advantage over a new player, in rpg’s it often just comes down to who has the better equipment.

What about an rpg where the combat system was more like a fps where it actually takes skill to win. Early on monsters/ enemies would be weak enough not to be to frustrating, and as you gain levels you get better equip allowing even reflex impaired people to eventually get to the cool stuff further along. But if you have ‘skill’ you could fight harder stuff quicker by relying on your abilities to ever come the fact that you don’t do as much damage or have as much defense…

Of course the most interesting part would come when inter player combat happens. Sure your opponent might only have low lee equipment ( you can see what armor weapons ) but what if he is a player like Thresh from quake fame?

Just a thought.
Oh I definetely agree with you on that one
I am still trying to code the damn thing... I have some ideas on that one, but using the classic interfaces we have now wouldn''t make sense. I mean, for a world where melee fighting is more important than range shooting, we need a new way to fight. Because the Quakelike wouldn''t work.

Now to come back on topic, what I was trying to say is that I don''t want to see RPG turned even more into FPS shooter. I think giving more control to the player over the action would be a nice thing. Though I disagree with the "weaker monsters for the beginners". I don''t want that crap anymore. Beginners should learn to be careful, they should not be thaught that monsters are a source of revenue, and that you need to kill them to get stronger. Rather, I''d like to see a system where experienced players would fight newbies in training exercises, and help them improve their skills. If a newbie decide to go and fight ithout any training, they should get beaten the crap out of them, as a lesson that fighting is a serious thing, and a lethal one at that.
I am actually thinking more and more about how much control should the player have over combat and how much stats should matter.

Paul, when I think about weaknesses/advantages, I am thinking more in a balanced way. I don''t wank a real Achilles heel thingie, because it''s way too much. "OK, I know that type, yo just have to hit him there, and you get triple damage". No way !
What I am thinking is more along the lines : heavier thus more resistant, but slower. Or things like "he has much more Breath Points, but he need to drink fresh blood to recover them" (vampires anyone ? )

For the Grail thing, what I mean is that, sometimes it''s the hole idea of running around to find the damn thing that gives you plenty of experience. Reaching the goal is only symbolic, a sort of celebration of the path yo have travelled to arrive there. With Highlander, it''s a bit the same idea, everytime they kill, what they really do is survive, which means they get stronger. "What doesn''t kill you makes you stronger" I think it''s from Conan the Barbarian But personally I love that saying.
Maybe we could give the player a sort of ''geas'', something that they just can''t do, a taboo, otherwise something terrible might happen (see irish legends to know what I am talking about).
They would have this geas, but would have some advantages of course. And to get rid of the geas, they would have to go on a terrible personal quest, and ultimately not become stronger, but rather be freed of their geas.

Any more thoughts on that ?
"geis (pl. geasa), is an ancient injunction, prohibition or taboo against performing an act, or an obligation to do an act. The breaking of the geasa often resulted in death."

And some examples ...

"The kings of Leister must not drink by the light of wax candles in the palace of Dinn Rig."
"There was a geis on Cuchulainn not to eat the flesh of a hound because it was its namesake, cu being the irish for ''hound''"

(A guide to irish mythology, Daragh Smyth)
quote: by ahw
I don''t wank a real Achilles heel thingie, because it''s way too much.

LOL, sorry but that''s just tooo funny not to be mentioned. hehehe

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement