🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Day to Day; Hour to Hour

Started by
13 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 10 months ago
Yeah, same thing I was thinking. Maybe we''re missing something, Dak Lozar

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
There are a few roguelikes which alter some internal parameters based on when you are playing, like making things more dangerous when it''s a (real-life) full moon, but mostly these seem to be minor impact.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

There are a few roguelikes which alter some internal parameters based on when you are playing, like making things more dangerous when it''s a (real-life) full moon, but mostly these seem to be minor impact.

That''s a pretty cool idea.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Nazrix

I was curious about your opinions about this. I''m mostly thinking of single-player RPGs here.

Do you think that time should be accelerated, or should be basically real-time. So a game day would last 24 real hours unless of course you sleep or something like that. Then time would be accelerated, but if you''re just walking do you think that each game hour should be a real hour?

Taking your question bluntly, it all comes down to the game you are making. I presume any of your options could be good. *Shrug* How about doing something different with this idea? Like allowing the player some control over day and night.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
just to play with a design problem, for a change :

is it possible to make an elastic time game, in the contet of a team play game (not in a MMORPG), I am thinking for a game like Vampire for instance. How would we design a nice way to shrink/stretch time but still allow players to stay consistent. The problem already exist in P&P RPG, and I must say it''s still a very hard to deal with topic, mainly when you are confronted with time paradoxes... but I just wondered.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement