🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graveyards & Story

Started by
18 comments, last by Zredna 23 years, 10 months ago
I like rpgs and I love rpgs with a great strory. If I ever wanted to create an rpg I would do it like this: Write a long detailed history of the land. Then I would put parts of the story in the game. Not in the form of a historybook, but like in one town there was a fire 10years ago and now some of the house have still not been reapiered. Ok, that was some background info, now here is my idea (I do not know if people allready do this but I just thought of it): Make the graveyard a part of the story. Like in 455 a ship sinked with alot of people in it. Now if you walk through the graveyard and look at the gravestones you''ll find about 20 stones with a text like this: "Robert Nilson 432-455 The sea took our loved father" What do you think? Zredna
Advertisement
Sounds good. But I also look for a purpose to the story... You need to be telling a story for a reason IMO... My point (or moral ) to the story is ''End Goblin Genocide''

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
I can not see what you mean. The story do not need to have anything to do with the game it self. It would be if I made a game like: "Zredna: a normal person". Then the PC can read about the stoneage, world war I/II, etc etc in the history book, but it would not really affect the game in any mean, and it would not have a purpose.

Zredna
What is the point of having only a background story? Why not let the character play out the story? Then you have a point and a worthwhile game. Otherwise you just have Diablo or Diablo II, a hack''n''slash game with little or no reasoning... IMO

Ok, I see your point, but my example was just a very extreme example. Of course in a real game (I would not call my example a real game...) the bg history would affect the player in alot of ways like quests where you do A because B did that in C... I just like when I play a game when there is a link between everything, like why is all the houses in the west part of the city burned down. Answer: There was a fire 10 years ago. Also my graveyard example was a little stupid. But let say that the player get a quest like kill the evil wizard who killed all our childs ,to use the brains in a potion, 5 years ago. Then it would be a could feature that if the player ever looked at the graveyard he would find alot of gravestones from kids that died 5 years ago with a text like: "Killed by a evil wizard. May the potion burn in his stomach". Like you kind of use the graveyard as to backup the story.

Zredna
What Zredna means is that an RPG should have a very well-developed background and lots of detail in the wordl.I''m trying to do this, Zredna.It took my two years to create the game world ( brag, brag ) and I''m trying to make everything as detailed as possible.But it''s a lot of work, especially in the beginning (now it''s quite easy, and it''s not hard to implement - really !)

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I am trying to do this as well, where do I choose to start the history from thought? And which point in time do I start tracking it? Do I start from the present (and how everything is) and work backwards or do I say, um... 200 years ago is a good start, lets do that.. and work forwards? There are a lot of decisions to be made... I agree that a fully developed world is what really makes a game deep (see Tolkien for instance ) but I am just saying that a world needs to be running parallel to some kind of story, or else it is just plain boring

Hopefully for me I''m a GameMaster since about 10 years, so my world is very well described for some periods.
(Yes I don''t play always at the same period of time)

But as I pointed out, in my upcoming games it''s the player that builds up the character strenght, history and waekness by playing the important events of his life.

So their will be a custom background for this character, less detailed as if I was able to write on my own with no interactivity from the player, but more rewarding to the player.

If you talk about world history, my world is unique, with not that many monsters/fearie creatures as I prefer to call them.
Ecology, economics and history are all linked.
JRR Tolkien made a great/huge work on his world before writing the Lord of the Rings.

You probably won''t describe your world as much as he did...

But the question is how will you give the player''s the infos about that world ?!
He must know common knowledge of your world, but since he''s beginning to play with a several years old character, how will you teach him those famous legends... ?!

If someone has an idea about that I''ll be glad to hear it cause my solutions sofar aren''t satisfying me...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I had that problem at the beginning of my AD&D (with modified rules) campaign, so I decided that the players were born and raised on a small island.Therefore, they did not know much of the outside world.And during training (mage/warrior/paladin) they lived in a very small community.Only the mage knew a bit more, and I''d told him those things on the phone .But of course you can''t do that in every game.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
quote: Sounds good. But I also look for a purpose to the story... You need to be telling a story for a reason IMO... My point (or
moral ) to the story is ''End Goblin Genocide''

I like the idea of having a general story. Let the players create their own intrigues and story, thats part of the RP experience. Provide the TOOLS; let the gamers build the STORY. Yes it will not be for everybody, but you''ll attract a dedicated audience. And no I dont think Diablo accomplishes this, diablo plot sux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement