🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

weird (?) inspiration

Started by
13 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 10 months ago
I was thinking ... do you like (or used to) the Asterix comics ? I think they are great, although I don''t read many comics.Anyway, have you ever thought that they could be an inspiration to you ? Propably not. But take a look at the scenes in the forest, the village, and especially the coast.They are very well-made.The Druid, the houses, the feasts ...inspiring in a way, at least for me.Weird.Comments ? Runemaster Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
I''ve never heard of Asterix comics...I find Led Zeppelin''s music inspring sometimes for some reason. A lot of the songs have fantasy overtones.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Runemaster LMAO

Do you know that the scenarist barely knew anything about roman civilisation when he started all this ? Then look at all the cool details about daily life (going out kicking roman soldiers, fighting with the rest of the village on the market place). Look at the characters ... ah Asterix !

There has been some games for it, I think some console platform games, and also I know of a serie of miniatures for a table top bar fighting thing, or maybe it was an RPG, I only remember a photo.

It''s not a weird idea, I think it would be quite cool on the contrary. If a game is to be heroic, given the "unrealisticness" we already have around, maybe a bit of good ol'' craic would be the little touch we forgot in the magic potion

youpla :-P

(did you read the "foreign" episodes ? India, America, Spain, Switzerland, etc)
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Movies inspire me a lot. Entrapment just inpired my last game idea. If you wanna talk about it, check out the thread here.

==============================
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side..."

- Darth Vader, Episode VI
==============================

Edited by - Gaiiden on August 30, 2000 9:38:09 PM

Edited by - Gaiiden on August 30, 2000 9:39:11 PM

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I haven''t read asterix either but i''m by some of the other threads here i presume you''re talking about social structures?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
The only Asterix comics I have seen are in french. Kinda hard to read.

ASterix describes the life of a little village of the free Gaul that hasn''t surrendered to the Roman empire...
The characters are highly "typed" in that there different traits are extremely pronounced. BAsically, the main interest for thos gauls is to kick some roman butt, thanks to the magic potion, prepared by the druid Panoramix, taht give the villagers a tremendous force. But Obelix don''t get any as he fell in the cauldron when he was a kid.

PAul : this comic is a work of humor, that describes some typical traits of the various nationalities in it... it''s a parody. The characters are excellent, and the scenery in which the action takes place is always very ... I dunno, nicely chosen. I guess you''d have to see it to understand.
This comic has been translated in lots and lots of foreign language (including a Latin version if I remember).

youpla :-P

Par Toutatis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
They even translated it to ANCIENT greek.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
For inspiration I play indie games

Green Erick Software
For inspiration, I post to this board...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement