🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Real life realism in games

Started by
28 comments, last by LizardAl 23 years, 10 months ago
Are you forgetting that the character would otherwise be swarmed from behind when one of the smarter monsters opened the door? This is a price that they pay for not doing as the game designer spoketh... "Clear out the level, so that the pace may keep thee aliveth, and so you may then destroy the one whom would splatter your intestines for being too tired. Should you choose to race through with little thought, you shall perish". Now it is their fault, because you told them so!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Advertisement
quote: It''s midnight, you can barely see the world around you. You''re racing through the level at nightmare difficulty, seeing the eyes and claws of all the nightmarish creatures glisten much-too-close for comfort as you fly past them. You are just fast enough to evade them all, and you''re through the final, huge, brass doors to face the evil of all evils, the One you have to defeat in the Final Challenge.
The door behind you slams shut, cutting off the pursuing monsters. You press 8 for your trusty BFG 25Million. The system bleeps and you get the message "You''re too tired to carry that gun right now, please rest a while." An instant later, the One splatters your intestines all over the bronze door behind you.

THAT''S why you have to be careful with your features

That''s why you apply these ideas to Rogue Spear -type of games, not Quake.

-Jussi
Hehehe glad to see everyone is actually understanding my point!
[ Good call dwarfsoft, I left that in intentionally, really. *looks innocent* ]

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
*scolds MKV with waggling finger* Tut Tut! You should know better young man! Never assume stupidity of creatures or monsters. They have a society and an intelligence, no matter how many of them people slay

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Bah! I think the ideas of getting tired and tripping over are great! Anything is better than the boring carnage FPS''es have
become. And what''s wrong with forcing the player to be more
strategic? Or are we getting strained by the extra activated
neurons, mayhaps?
Getting tired, perhaps, but tripping over? A semi-random event influencing your chances of survival in a very player-skill based game?
Hmm, I''d like to try it out to see if it would amuse me or annoy me, I''m not sure really.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
If you thought that getting is fun, then by all means go do it. But you should study how other games have done it and what effects it had on gameplay.

For example, in Diablo 2, the weaker classes would get tired much more easily, but what did this mean? Well, running across long distance was much undesirable making the game a nuisance espcially after you got killed and need to get back to retrieve your corpse.

And what about falling down, not something i would like to be doing while shooting at my enemies. Also games let you fall down by allowing you to errr fall down. What I mean is that, you cant trip over objects but gravity pulls you down and thats probably enough to make the game realistic.

And ''nervousness'' is quite a good idea but Im afraid that there are similar implementations. Like in Final Fantasy games where a particular stat would determine a HIT or a MISS.

Taking before giving is only logical.
You run fully equipped towards a staircase, now, in Reality, would you manage to shift your center of balance as quick as in
Quake? Nope, you hit yourself badly against the staircase and get
serious nosebleed. Unless you break a bit before taking steps.
Logical, no randomness involved. The same if you run upon a low
ledge close to the floor at full speed. But one need to see one''s
feet and calculate the steps ingame.
In fact, the more influencing factors in a game, the "funnier" it gets. Otherwise, think about why games like Action Quake and
Counterstrike got more popular than Quake itself.
Games equal Gameplay. Real life equals reality! It''s that simple
*Magically beams to the next thread*

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
nervousness is a bad idea, or to be fair it''s what low level are already about.

Can''t you imagine that in fact you''re stronger than what you think and the nervousness makes you low level, with time and experience, you become accustomed to the situation and then don''t be nervous any more...

But if you want to add nervousness, you''ll only make low level weaker that what they are, and the != between levels will be higher...

To me that''s especially bad.

About the other things I tend to agree with MKV, you''d better make an extensive testing before including it.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement