🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Let the magical be magical

Started by
18 comments, last by Spyder 23 years, 10 months ago
How about have a system of ALL of the magics, and apply them to certain races. Depending on the races beleif in magic they can cast different spells in different methods. Dwarves can only use runes, while daemons may need to make sacrifices and Clerics or Acolytes would need to pray.

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Advertisement
I was gonna go on and on about the system I use for my RPG scenarios, but rather, I wrote a wee story. It's, hopefully, a way to show you how the classic 4 elements can be used in a non so boring way. Or maybe it's boring. But then please tell me

The thing is that the post is quite long, so I put it in the Writing samples thread.

Feedback appreciated

youpla :-P

Edited by - ahw on August 27, 2000 4:40:46 PM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Hmmm, in my opinion magic should be more than just some skill.It should be a force, like in Lord of the Isles.It should have effects on the world.I''m doing that in Athalon, and I think there will be / is something similar in Arcanum.On the other hand, I do have sorcery that function like a skill.Hmmm....

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I guess most of my ideas get lost in the amount of bullshit I write ... but that''s the way I am.

runemaster : I personnaly prefer the idea of a skill for EACH spell. A spell IS a skill and you have to work on it just like any other skill. There is a skill for Magic in general, but this one would be more of a theory one.
With this way, your mages are much more limited in the number of spells they learn, but they can greatly tailor each of those spells they have learnt, improve there efficiency, modify their form, etc.

And if any one here had the patience to read my post in Writing Samples, what do you think of the system I kinda describe there. Of course it''s just the beginning, but I think it exaplains well the basis on which I will later expand the rest of the magic system.

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Humans need to represent everything they know and even don''t know with something... And the easiest thing they found for magic was the elements...

Every single one of us has a magical signature, unique for every one of us, we can''t clasify them all in a book... Unless of course we write all of our names down in it.

So magic is not made of something we see everyday, it is made of a purpose... Freeze water, heal and stuff like that... So that is why they represent it with the elements. But why not represent them with Divine Creatures?
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Ok, consider other aspects then just the single filed new age magic. The kind of magic that can be controlled/triggered by saying certain things, or wearing certain symbols.

Have you considered other types of religious systems like christianity, islam, or judism? Perhaps have a system that acts upon faith. If you for instance are a cleric, perhaps you cannot perform a miracle for your fellow player if he does not have enough faith. The miracles that are performed are not a result of the players doing but an act of God/powers/whatever?
What the... do you mean with miracles in a game?
What the... do you mean with miracles in a game?

I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.
A miracle is something that doesnt happen everyday. It is something that can''t be manipulated, or fit into systemes. A miracle in a game could be a ressurection from the dead.
Here''s a combination of rune / elemental magic system I designed, please comment:

As usual, there are the elements: fire, earth, air, water. In a neutral situation, there''s the same amount of each element present at each location.

There''s no "mana points." Each time you cast eg. a fireball (cliche), the "fire level" of the area decreases, while the water level increases. The more powerful the spell and the less skilled the caster, the more the level changes. If you keep firing fireballs and raising the "fire level", the high level of water starts to manifest itself. At first, there might be some fog, then it starts raining and so on. Respectively, if you cast a lot of "earthquake" spells, wind starts to blow harder and harder. The levels tend to drift towards neutral by time, so there''s no permanent damage done. Also, the effect is very local, so the harm is mostly done to the caster. This prevents mages from casting powerful spells and thus creating a counter-effect that boosts the spell effect.

The spells themselves are casted by combining runes, a very similar system to Natuk (www.proudft.com/natuk.html). Eg. fireball could be a combination of "throw" and "fire" runes, perhaps boosted by some other runes like "large" or "fast."

In code this could be implemented as an "influence map", similar to those sometimes used in strategy game AI.

-Jussi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement