🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG + arcade == kiss of doom?

Started by
11 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Hans

If the game is in a 3d third-person-view, you can''t really aim anyway.

Ah, should have stated that I''m doing a science fiction RPG with ranged combat via guns and such. (Heh, see, folks automatically hear RPG and think fantasy...)

quote:
I know you''ll have to have decent reflexes and a rather fast mouse hand, and jumping on flying platforms is depending on your skills, not your character''s skills (but who the **** makes flying platforms anyway!?). However, I''m sure there''s a huge audience waiting for this kind of game.

I was thinking more in the line of Crusader: No Remorse action when you''re on foot, and your favorite Asteroids-alike clone when you''re in space. But no moving platforms...

Starcraft might offer a solution here: Different character types that require different levels of action. The zerg, for example, are a clicker''s wet dream, while the Protoss are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
quote: Original post by ahw

rather than doing a long post, one title : Ultima VIII

draw our own conclusions (if you don''t know about the Ultima series, that''s another story)

youpla :-P

I was thinking about U8''s ABYSMAL ratings as I was posting this. I never made it to the the parts where people thought it was completely irritating, so unfortunately I don''t have insight here. What was the problem? Were they too mario-like? Can you elaborate...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: I really wish there was a better way to bridge the real-time and turn based crowds, here. I like the idea of pausing and issuing queued orders in a RTS, but I''m not sure it works so well in an arcade game.

Well I''m a realtime fan, I enjoy games like starcraft etc. The thing with a game like icewind dale is that it is to complex without a pause function. If you want a action RPG look at Diablo, then all there is to it is click-click-click. It''s not like the fights are strategy or anything. In Icewind Dale fights are like chess, you plan and outsmart your opponent this cant be done with true realtime.

So bottom line if you want a simple clickity click arcade rpg game then go ahead, if you want depth and planning avoid to much of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement