🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A game Idea

Started by
3 comments, last by Crocmort 23 years, 10 months ago
I just want to know if someone already used this idea in a game. And if nobody used it, I want your opinion about it! =) All the recent RPGs are always based on the Good vs Evil thing... But Evil never win... =( Do you know the "Croque-Mort" in the Luky Luke series... This person that is always wering black cloths and is always happy when someone die because it''s good for his buisness. I think it could be a good idea for an RPG. Your quest would be to cause some conflicts in the town so that the mortality would raise, and your buisness would be better! Maybe it could be a good idea to add an economic system to the game, where you see the health of your buisness ect... I just got the idea, I didnt planed anything for the game, that''s just an idea... =P Please give me your opinion, and maybe suggestions. I''m planning to make a game around this idea but I wanted to have some suggestion before... =)
Advertisement
It sounds like a good idea for an online RPG where someone has to player the Dungeon Master. The dungeon master could be the shop keeper *evil grin*.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I like this idea ALOT. Let me know when yer demos out, k? =)

I would really emphasize your reputation in the town, (maybe even go to the extreme of basing 90% of the action in just one town) and the Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde balance where on the one hand, people are coming to you for business, on the other you''re stabbing them in the back. The losing condition could be you get lynched if people find out?

Games like this that stick to a single, very unique idea w/out trying to be all things to all people, usually work out really well.
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Cool, him happy that you think it's a good idea! =) The reputation in the town would be the most important thing in the game... Cause you'll have to work underground, or the "normal" people (the people that die) will know what you're doing... So I could implement some quests but if you do some errors in them the player would loose some reputation ect and if he loose too much reputation, he would be killed by the population of the town and the game is finished! =) Maybe you could hire some persons to do some jobs, but if they failed, theirs acts would affect your reputation, so maybe you should just do the job yourself or hire very good guys! =) Me and one of my friend will talk about this, maybe write a story and try to have some new idea to put in the game... Nothing is done in coding yet, everything is on paper... =)

Edited by - Crocmort on August 20, 2000 1:24:59 PM
quote: Original post by Crocmort

Cool, him happy that you think it''s a good idea! =) The reputation in the town would be the most important thing in the game... Cause you''ll have to work underground, or the "normal" people (the people that die) will know what you''re doing... So I could implement some quests but if you do some errors in them the player would loose some reputation ect and if he loose too much reputation, he would be killed by the population of the town and the game is finished! =) Maybe you could hire some persons to do some jobs, but if they failed, theirs acts would affect your reputation, so maybe you should just do the job yourself or hire very good guys! =) Me and one of my friend will talk about this, maybe write a story and try to have some new idea to put in the game... Nothing is done in coding yet, everything is on paper... =)

Edited by - Crocmort on August 20, 2000 1:24:59 PM

Wow, if you did a big dramatic Lynch Mob scene as the loosing ending that would give your game great replay value - everyone would play it seriously to win, then open up a saved gave and loose so they could see the loosing ending. Your character would have to be one of those you-love-to-hate-him/her types. Ooh, ''nother idea - have you heard of _The_Picture_of_Dorian_Grey_ by Oscar Wilde? There''s also an old horror movie they made from it - I''d rent it and watch it if I were you, it''s all about being evil while appearing perfectly decent.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement