🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sensible random encounters

Started by
27 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
Okay, here''s a "what if" brainstorm on random encounters. With a very large world, you don''t want to track everything in the world itself. Yet you want to make it seem like entities are moving about realistically. What''s a good system? How about this: Random encounters aren''t totally random. The chance for encountering anything is based on the map itself. The longer you''re in an area, the higher the chance for encountering something. So if you hang out on a road, there''s a higher and higher chance that you''ll meet someone. What you encounter is based on where you are. In the forest you encounter wolves, on the roads you encounter merchants, etc. (Nothing special yet). Now, somehow, it seems that the encounters themselves should change the more you have them in an area. Say you''re a highwayman. You keep ambushing traders. Eventually guards should come. Maybe a good way to track this is to increase or decrease what type of random encounter should happen in any area mostly based on what the player is doing. That way, if you''re sneaking around, you have a smaller chance of encountering the guards than if you keep attacking and keep attacking. I think the strength of some encounters should increase the more you encounter them. So if you slaughter the guards, many more guards should come. Now, if you vary the pool from which guards (or whatever) can come based on what part of the world the player is in, this might seem realistic. Less guards for poorer kingdoms, and thus much more robbery! One problem tho'': Leftovers. If you encounter a caravan that''s heading north, then you should be able to see them again if you head north. So you won''t be able to completely get away from tracking things in the game world. Maybe the game system should track them awhile, then, once they''re out of a certain range, delete them. -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Sounds like the fallout approach. Depending on your destination you get different encounters.

http://users.50megs.com/crazyvasey/
It sounds like a set up that i had when i was running my last AD&D campain. These days i''m thinking about using pressure points in random encounters. The pressure points are area''s that generate crime. They act like cancers which amalgamate in area''s and when they are washed out then small parts of the originals start up else where. Ho hum

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Expanding the idea:
I think you could expand the idea to include modeling events happening outside of the player''s immediate perceptions, but that may be influenced by the player''s actions.

Something like chaos mathematics.

Those leftovers are not really a problem on current computers. Just track ''em all (=all that are necessary to track, not ogres wolves & such)! You must meet at least 1000 people until they start stressing the processor. Reason: you don''t have to track them every frame you move. Tracking a caravan you''ve encountered could be done only once per second.

-Hans
Random encounters need to be more controlled by the player. I remember I used to save/load about 100 times in Baldur''s Gate and Fallout II just to avoid getting an encounter. That used to annoy me alot. Instead I think there should be a choice for the player. Because if you make the player fight every encounter, he''ll just save/load 1,000,000 times to avoid it (I will ).
I think the big issue is is that random encounters shouldn''t come across as being random at all. They should fit in so smoothly that the player doesn''t think that there''s some sort of table generator in the background. It''s hard to believe that it''s still being done so poorly.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I''ve wondered about this, too. If you pick up any tabletop DnD module, (well, a good one, anyway) you''ll see a better random encounter table than in any CRPG I''ve seen. They''re modified by time of day, terrain, a slim chance of a "special encounter", (well, at least fallout had _those_) current status in the campaign; and then, when you go to the lookups, you see at least some sort of quickie description of what the creature/person was busy doing when you happened along. You would never see a creature "just hanging out". Also, not all encounters had to end in combat. Wouldn''t it be nice if in a CRPG, you once in awhile encountered something other than a group of hostile monsters, like a knight returning from a Holy War, a "monster" who was cast out of his/her tribe, some unemployed serfs from the castle you just sacked & looted, anything? What''s even worse is that DnD has some of the WORST handling of random encounters I''ve ever seen! I understand why they''re used in CRPG''s, but most human DM''s I know don''t even use them. The point is, all that CRPG designers would have to do in order to improve their systems would be to copy some look-up tables out of a book! How lazy *are* these game developer people?
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Personally, I don''t mind either way, as long as I''m not pulled away from my usual adventuring into some convoluted ''combat
system'' like the Final Fantasy systems have. I don''t want to be stuck watching some overblown 30 second video clip of a combat move in a battle I couldn''t avoid. Give me the Ultima, or even the Zelda system, where if you don''t want to fight, just run away.
If you ask me, It''s simpler if you just make the game turn based.

But, unless you''re going for infinite accuracy...Try giving each npc priorities for running. Closer ones have priority 1. further have 2 etc..

then run them like 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 3 1 2 etc...

But keep track of "timeframe" in each NPC and give them orders long enough to bring them to the next time they''re AI runs.

So 1 runs every say 2 frames, 2 every 4, 3 every 8, 4 every 16 etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement