🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plug-in Attributes

Started by
17 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
How would it be in a RPG where the characters attributes were more cartridge based? I''m thinking this would increase the sence of danger and challange for the player. The down side to this system is that the player would be simply loading and saving more often. So in order to cancel this action i''m thinking of using a pay-per-save mechanism within the game. Probably the equivilent as 20 gold per save in a game like Diablo. What would be the negatives in a game with this system? Is there something i''m not seeing? *Brainwave* i guess it could also work on a pay-per-load system as well so you could save but you only need to payup if you end up loading. This way the player can have a sort of insurance-save-load system in the game. If you want insurance then you have to pay for it. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Not sure what you mean by cartridge based, but a game that uses the pay-per-save model is X-Beyond The Frontier. It''s a space trading game, and you have to "insure" your ship to save. It''s low enough of a price so that it''s not totally annoying, and reward people who save less often (or punishes folks who save more, depending on how you look at it).

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I''ll say attributes are held in a cartridge that you can pull out of the back of your character and put new ones in.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
If I understand you right, it sounds like the cybermodules in System Shock 2, except you can take them out.

Been thinking abou this myself. In a cyberpunk future you might expect to be able to jam in moddies and change everything from your memory to your skills to your personality.

Usually skill increases are a reward for doing something in the game. If you could just plug in a skill, then you might want to transfer that cost to some other area of the game in order to create a barrier. System Shock does it by having Shodan reward you when you complete a task. I plan to use money.

Skill-moddies could become an interesting inventory object. They could be bought and sold. There could be black market skills (murder? bomb-making? rabble-rousing?) that the gov''t doesn''t want you to have. They could even be defective... heheh.

Is this what you''re talking about?

--------------------
I was thinking, it''d probably be a negative thing to do to take XP off someone for saving, yeah? What i''m trying to do is to encourage the player to enjoy the fun of "risking" by discouraging them from saving.

Here''s my thoughts so far. By taking monies/xp off the character when they load it becomes a pay to play game. By taking monies off them for saving then it becomes more of an insurance element.

Ok a new idea, how about every so oftem in the game (key points/triggers) the player is allowed to bank a certain amount of their characters money into a save game bank. If that money runs out then they can''t save until they reach the next key-point/trigger. Any monies left in the save bank when they reach the next trigger has interest accredited to it and possibly hand out an easter egg too.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I definitely like the originality in your thinking... You know what that means right? In the doc!

How about you make it a combination of the two systems thought (and 20gp in Diablo is pathetically small. It just discourages beginners, not lv 33 characters for D/I or 37 for D/II). I think that you should make the player pay gold for saving, but make them pay XP for loading. I am personally against save-load, but this idea is too good to refuse . I think that the gold worth of the character should be worked out as a premium, so a higher level character would cost more to save (because they are soooo damn chunky). This would allow beginners to get off cheap or free (a plus... gets people into the game without discouraging them).

Damn Paul, where the heck do you get your ideas from man?

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Inspiration, thanks for the pat Btw, i was working on a RTS but now i''m working on a RPG (Gotta go where the coders are). So you''ll probably here more about me now on this subject. Fun fun fun I''m tossling over a combat system at the moment though, gotta write up a design doc too and get some concept art going.

Yeah, i was just thinking about scooping some xp off the character but the thing with the game i''m working on is that money is very very important you see and there''s the other problem with taking xp off a character. What if they''ve just gone up in level and then they save/load do they go back down a level. That would be a bit dodgy i think.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Don''t allow them to go down to the previous level. Thats what Diablo II does (I have thorns... I know ).

Check our site:
What would you guys say to this senario: You''ve successfully discouraged the player from saving. They''re hours deep into your level.

Then the game crashes. Too bad?

You''re always going to have bugs in whatever you make, especially the smaller you are and the more ambitious your design. Just something to consider...

--------------------
Maybe have an automated crash-save. You should be able to tell if the game was shut down correctly, if not then the save takes place. This would leave the game open to Ctrl-Alt-Del termination saves, but I think that it solves the problem

Check our site:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement