🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Master of Orion -clone

Started by
20 comments, last by Knarkles 23 years, 10 months ago
Take a look at Space Empires IV (www.malfador.com) It is still in beta but it has a lot of features which make a great 4X-game.
Maybe you could ''steal'' some features from them

What I like to see in such a game is a lot of diplomacy, I like having more than 3 states (war,non-aggresion,alliance).

Gyzmo
=======================
[signature][/signature]
Gyzmo=============================="Well is the world standard" - The Alchemist"Not in Canada!" - jonnyfish
Advertisement
Large fleets are good, but if you choose tactical combat, it''s a pain. Ever got a 3+ hours battle?
So it''d be good to include not only the moo2 automatic mode, but also an automatic result generation (without waiting time)!

Since we have phased combat, this will not be a problem, or at least not as much so. We will also have calculated combat, and in the beginning of the project that will be the only combat mode.

What we did was to have the universe time accelerate when nothing was happening, but when an ''incident'' occured, it was up to you to respond. Ever played final fantasy? same sort of concept.

We were thinking of a system where you eg. left click on the end turn button to advance one turn or right click to advance until something interesting happens. Something like that.

We solved the species problem by having technological trees. you progress down one or more of these trees and it shaped the way your race turned out - the more time you spent doing one thing, the more your species moved in that direction. It was not possible to go back and research everything. This is much like the skill tree in Diablo II, where the same character type can be vastly different depending on which skills you gave them.

As I said, we will have more defined species, of which at least two are played completely differently from the other species. You _can_ research everything, but some techs are left out in random, so you don''t get each tech in every game. Also, our research system is quite unique. It''s not like choose-the-next-project.

-Jussi
My primary concern are the multiplayer capabilities. I''ve always wanted to play games like Master of Orion or Alpha Centauri with other players and the problem with those turnbased games was that you really needed a lot of time to get a bit of progress. Whenever I tried to play these games we usually gave up after at best an hour or so.
Well I came up with an idea how to make it better. For multiplayer reasons you could use a kind of realtime engine. That means one turn = 4 seconds or so (increase the time as your empire grows). Changes will only take effect when you press the OK button. That means you can take 10 turns to do some rather difficult manipulation. Alpha Centauri used something similiar but all base and diplomatic windows closed and discarded the changes when the round time was up...
"Well I came up with an idea how to make it better. For multiplayer reasons you could use a kind of realtime engine. That means one turn = 4 seconds or so (increase the time as your empire grows). Changes will only take effect when you press the OK button. That means you can take 10 turns to do some rather difficult manipulation. Alpha Centauri used something similiar but all base and diplomatic windows closed and discarded the changes when the round time was up..."

Well, this is an interesting idea. Semi-realtime, hm... We will have to discuss this in our design meeting.

-Jussi
I''d like spying ablities like in Seven Kingdoms 2, where you could sabotage, steal research, assasinate the king etc.Also, more diplomacy options !

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
You could always do timed turns that are executed at the same time. Combat Mission (currently not networked, but uses all the turns this way) uses this and it seems to work. I haven''t played master of orion, always wanted to, so I have no idea how much this would alter the game.

quote: You could always do timed turns that are executed at the same time. Combat Mission (currently not networked, but uses all the turns this way) uses this and it seems to work. I haven''t played master of orion, always wanted to, so I have no idea how much this would alter the game.

We have similar system in tactical combat. It wouldn''t make a difference in strategic map, though we have simultenous turns.

-Jussi
I would not recommend phased combat. Star Trek Birth of the Federation had that and it was not good. Nor would I recommend using turned based combat like MOO or MOO2. What I have always envisioned at the best for tactical combat would be real time.

The way I see a great a space empire game is to have the simple colony management of the original MOO but just slightly more complex (but not much mind you), and then to have tactical combat be just like the game Star Trek Armada. This would also be a great thing for publishing. If your game is ''real time'' and ''3D'' just like Armada you are gonna be much more likely to find a finacial backer for the game.

Also, if you have ever played Imperium Galactica 2, you would have noticed the 3D graphics in that game for the star map were beautifull. That is something to consider also.

Also, dont follow Space Empires 4. I download that beta demo and found it incredibly boring and totally lacking of that "one more turn" that I should be wanting.

Possibility
quote: I would not recommend phased combat. Star Trek Birth of the Federation had that and it was not good. Nor would I recommend using turned based combat like MOO or MOO2. What I have always envisioned at the best for tactical combat would be real time.

I haven''t played BOTF, but from what I''ve heard about it, it sucks. We won''t have a similar system. I could describe it as being a hybrid of MOO and MOO3.

quote: The way I see a great a space empire game is to have the simple colony management of the original MOO but just slightly more complex (but not much mind you), and then to have tactical combat be just like the game Star Trek Armada. This would also be a great thing for publishing. If your game is ''real time'' and ''3D'' just like Armada you are gonna be much more likely to find a finacial backer for the game.

We''re not making this from the perspective of making it easily marketable, though we won''t forget casual players.

quote: Also, if you have ever played Imperium Galactica 2, you would have noticed the 3D graphics in that game for the star map were beautifull. That is something to consider also.

I think IG2 was ugly, especially the tactical combat, but that''s my opinion.

quote: Also, dont follow Space Empires 4. I download that beta demo and found it incredibly boring and totally lacking of that "one more turn" that I should be wanting.

I don''t remember SE4 having a single good feature which we wouldn''t have thought about already. I think SE4 is too clinical and boring.

-Jussi
quote: Original post by Selkrank

"Well I came up with an idea how to make it better. For multiplayer reasons you could use a kind of realtime engine. That means one turn = 4 seconds or so (increase the time as your empire grows). Changes will only take effect when you press the OK button. That means you can take 10 turns to do some rather difficult manipulation. Alpha Centauri used something similiar but all base and diplomatic windows closed and discarded the changes when the round time was up..."

Well, this is an interesting idea. Semi-realtime, hm... We will have to discuss this in our design meeting.

-Jussi

That sounds like Pax Imperia.... the gameplay wasn't TOO bad, but it still had plenty of other problems that made it a pain to play multi. Actually, overall the game sucks compared to some others out there, but the always-real-time aspect was different.

Oh, and Selkrank, don't even refer to it as a clone... just say it's BETTER than MOO2, hehe.

===========================================
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

-Albert Einstein

Edited by - Tebriel on August 20, 2000 7:26:43 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement