🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Master of Orion -clone

Started by
20 comments, last by Knarkles 23 years, 10 months ago
I''m making a Master of Orion -clone called "mproject" with a couple of friends. Currently our team consists of two programmers, three 3D modelers and a designer/writer. We have designed the game quite a lot and started coding the engine. However, suggestions are always welcome. If you have any clever ideas, send them to mproject@philipkdick.com. -Jussi
Advertisement
Additional information: we will have a public web site, but not yet. You can of course post comments here.

-Jussi
You almost got moved to the help wanted forum, but you''re not really asking for help, just input. So we''ll wait for your website and give you some!

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Here's a suggestion.... don't make a clone!

Make it at least a -little- different, somehow (preferably better ). Personally I don't see a point in people making clones of games unless it's only for experience. And even then, it isn't hard to make it at least a little different...

Here's one thing that would make a major difference-- If I remember correctly, MOO (2) is turn based, and during multi-player play, you have to wait for each other player to finish their turn. Boring. I'd look into making the multiplayer turns -simultaneous- (each player takes their turn at the same time, and then once all are finished all orders are executed simultaneously). Or at the very least, give something for inactive players to do while they're waiting for other players to finish-- anything.

There's still usually some waiting for other players but it isn't nearly as bad.

Of course this is assuming you're even planning on making it multiplayer...

===========================================
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

-Albert Einstein

Edited by - Tebriel on August 15, 2000 12:36:34 PM
I played both Orion''s and loved them. I hope you and your team do a wonderful job and I wish you luck. As far as suggestions, well, I have one but it is not an easy one to implement. I got tired of being confined to the ONE solar system and it seemed small and repetitive after several hours of play. So I think it would be nice to design (again, not an easy idea) a virtual solar system that builds and adds to itself and regenerates more of itself after time has passed. That would really eliminate the repetitive aspect and bring in a discovery type atmosphere. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck to you!
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!
Another thing ... more stars ! MOO2 had around 80, and it really wasn''t enough for me.I''d say 200, at least.Of course, only if this is possible...

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Jussi, how much time have you got?

My wishlist...

* Better mix and match race creation...

* Ability to name my own races, and customize the star namespace. My friends and I want to play in the Star Trek and Bab5 universe, and if ya give us the ability to to change the names ya'' won''t have to bother with licenses.

* Level design tools

* Easy edit of race .ini files, allow custom picture

* Larger universe. Make that puppy scroll!!!!!

* Give AI chance to surrender when it''s beaten. Don''t make me hunt ''em down to the last colony.

* Autoresolve battles that I''ve chosen to fight tactically. I once waited 15 minutes for a Antarean fleet to obliterate one of my colonies in a late stage game.... jeeze!

* More space for tactical battles...

* Gravitational effects around stars and planets. Gravity whips would be SO COOL!

* Moo 1 style slider bars! Micromanagement should be SIMPLE!

... could name more, but in the name of bandwidth I''ll stop...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Thanks for the replies, I''ll try to answer everyone.

Tebriel:
"Here''s a suggestion.... don''t make a clone!"

Of course not, usually I write "clone" instead of clone.

"Here''s one thing that would make a major difference-- If I remember correctly, MOO (2) is turn based, and during multi-player play, you have to wait for each other player to finish their turn."

MOO2 had simultaneous turns in multiplayer, and so will we.

runemaster:
"Another thing ... more stars ! MOO2 had around 80, and it really wasn''t enough for me.I''d say 200, at least.Of course, only if this is possible..."

We haven''t decided about the number of stars, but possibly we could have unlimited stars if you have enough memory.

Wavinator:
"Jussi, how much time have you got?"

Not enough.

"* Better mix and match race creation..."

We will have "unique" races, with far more and deeper differences than "+2 production", so this is not possible. We will make the species (not races) as customizable as possible without sacrificing uniqueness.

"* Ability to name my own races, and customize the star namespace. My friends and I want to play in the Star Trek and Bab5 universe, and if ya give us the ability to to change the names ya'' won''t have to bother with licenses.

* Level design tools

* Easy edit of race .ini files, allow custom picture"

We will try to include as many editors with the game as possible.

"* Larger universe. Make that puppy scroll!!!!!"

See response to runemaster above.

"* Give AI chance to surrender when it''s beaten. Don''t make me hunt ''em down to the last colony."

Everyone can surrender, we will try to make the AI do so, too.

"* Autoresolve battles that I''ve chosen to fight tactically. I once waited 15 minutes for a Antarean fleet to obliterate one of my colonies in a late stage game.... jeeze!

* More space for tactical battles..."

Our tactical combat will be "phased" 3D, meaning you give orders while the game is paused, watch the battle for a minute or so, then give orders, watch battle etc.

"* Gravitational effects around stars and planets. Gravity whips would be SO COOL!"

You mean in tactical combat?

"* Moo 1 style slider bars! Micromanagement should be SIMPLE!"

We will try to reduce micromanagement, although you can micromanage if you want to.

-Jussi
Hi, since I''m also a fan of moo & moo2, here twoe points I really *dislike*:

Large fleets are good, but if you choose tactical combat, it''s a pain. Ever got a 3+ hours battle?
So it''d be good to include not only the moo2 automatic mode, but also an automatic result generation (without waiting time)!

The automatic colony builer wasn''t that good.
Include a possibility to choose what kind of colony should be build (scientific, military, industrial and perhaps even a moo2 auto-mode which rates the planet an then chooses by itself)

Another idea:

Have you ever played Ascenda(n)cy?
The player got a layout of his ship, and had to equip it itself. Depending on the number of engines, positions of weapons, shields, etc. you were able to customize the whole thing!
Perhaps this would make a good "advanced build mode"!?

Good luck... Dismissed! ;-)

Stony
Hi Jussi,

We have done parts of a stellar conquest game. The project is on the shelf due to time problems, but we hope to return to it soon.

What we did was to have the universe time accelerate when nothing was happening, but when an ''incident'' occured, it was up to you to respond. Ever played final fantasy? same sort of concept.

We solved the species problem by having technological trees. you progress down one or more of these trees and it shaped the way your race turned out - the more time you spent doing one thing, the more your species moved in that direction. It was not possible to go back and research everything. This is much like the skill tree in Diablo II, where the same character type can be vastly different depending on which skills you gave them.

We had the intention of a "functions unless interefered with" approach. In other words, we wanted to be able to go off and make some lunch to come back and find the empire was still standing. This is where we got to. The problem with games in general, in my opinion, is that you have to control everything all the time. An exception to this is simcity. Do you see what i mean?

Also, i would love to see it, but you didn''t mention the website.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement