🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Evil plot to take over the world!!!

Started by
16 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
Evil plot to take over the world!!!...Hmmmmmmmmmm, was''nt that Pinky and the Brains job?
Advertisement
*Narf*

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)

-We have to prepare for tommorow night Pinky!

-What are we going to do tommorow night Brain?

-The same thing we do every night Pinky.Trying to take over the WORLD!!

Well in this discussion Brain can be played very well by Bill Gates(or is it Pinky?).

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
quote: Original post by Voodoo4

Well in this discussion Brain can be played very well by Bill Gates(or is it Pinky?).

Ha ha ha! Did you ever see the episode where Brain met Bill? It was hilarious.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Yeah, just a question. What do you say about MMORPGs like
Ultima Online? Surely the player has some opportunity to create
his/her own plot there?
(e.g. I killed monster, best friend killed me, took my money, I plot revenge etc.)

What say you?

Mark Thompson
Well online games always give more interesting plots mainly because of the random human factor.
But i think the advance is dynamic plots in single player mode.

For example you have an informer in some town.
You give him money and/or other stuff and he gives you info about the enemy''s hideouts and other valuable things you might want to know.

But his loyalty depends on the amount of money you give(he may want more as time passes),the amount of money the enemy might give to reverse the roles ,and his personality(good guy,neutral,bad attitude,etc.) which affects the loyalty of the guy at any time.

So the game''s rules can change in just a moment and the advantage you had(the info) may become a disadvantage(the enemy takes info about you).

Wavinator:
I believe you mean the episode with Bill Gates.Well it was a very good one!But i don''t remember the name they had instead of Microsoft...Micro-something i believe but i''m not sure.
Well these mice were really great!
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
quote: Original post by Mark_T

Yeah, just a question. What do you say about MMORPGs like
Ultima Online? Surely the player has some opportunity to create
his/her own plot there?
(e.g. I killed monster, best friend killed me, took my money, I plot revenge etc.)

You know, this is a start. Unfortunately it suffers from two glaring problems:

1) The number of actions you can take are horribly limited, and so any plot you make is itself pretty limited. (Sort of like trying to write a story knowing only a few words...) Thus you get a lot of the plot you mentioned above, and when it becomes too commonplace it also becomes boring.

2) Most plots you can create for yourself are pointless. The best plots have some overarching goal, like, for instance, taking over the world or ending civilization (whatever). MMORPGs, can''t afford to let all players change the world on that scale. (It''s the King Arthur Clone Syndrome... you''re supposed to be the savior of the land... unfortunately, so is EVERYBODY else...)

--------------------
quote: Original post by Voodoo4

Well online games always give more interesting plots mainly because of the random human factor.
But i think the advance is dynamic plots in single player mode.

Absolutely. This is what I''m shooting for in my design.

quote:
For example you have an informer in some town.
You give him money and/or other stuff and he gives you info about the enemy''s hideouts and other valuable things you might want to know.

But his loyalty depends on the amount of money you give(he may want more as time passes),the amount of money the enemy might give to reverse the roles ,and his personality(good guy,neutral,bad attitude,etc.) which affects the loyalty of the guy at any time.

So the game''s rules can change in just a moment and the advantage you had(the info) may become a disadvantage(the enemy takes info about you).

You see, this is cool. But we won''t get this kind of stuff until we start talking about how to turn this into math. In another post I talked about systems. We need a system to support interaction in this way. We know the system of combat like the back of our hand... now it''s time to learn new ones...

quote:
Wavinator:
I believe you mean the episode with Bill Gates.Well it was a very good one!But i don''t remember the name they had instead of Microsoft...Micro-something i believe but i''m not sure.
Well these mice were really great!

MicroSquish, wasn''t it????

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement