🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

more mature games

Started by
27 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
This has more to do with the use of reality in games. It seems to me that as we get older we want games that we can relate to better. In a sence this means that the games would be more reality based/yeah? I look at the game SimCity and it would have been huge with the more adult audience. I think that this was very much due to the fact that it was a reality based game. I also believe that games detract from the elder audience when irrational/unrealistic things occur in a game. Children on the other hand don''t mind things like having conveyor belts going up the side of a castle in the middle of a 17th century setting, it just doesn''t seem to detract from the gameplay as much as it would for an older person. I think this is pretty spot on, who would agree or disagree and why? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
*whines pathetically* stop making me think!

-mike
what i''ve noticed in older aduiences is a more mide based reality type games appeal to them. however about the reality in the games, this is also sometimes not required; sure in a 3d game it may be but-
think about all those stupid card games all these peoples are buying, i wouldn''t give those a second chance!
(solitare puts me to sleep, honestly!)
however imho i think it boils down to - how much enjoyment the person gets out of the game.
with the younger peoples, it''s not so much mind puzzles they like but a more action oriented game, where the graphics add only to the game by how much more skill/action is added with them. example - dark sky w/lights on building, the only reason we like these is because we can, if we have the skill, see the opponent before he/she sees us first.

older peoples on the otherhand get there enjoyment out of puzzle and chance skill. thus the card games, stuff like myst, and all those other games that we wouldn''t look twice at.

----
hehe when this message comes to an end, i''m not so sure i''ve added much to this message but a little to think about. what i''ve described is a broad view of young and old, i''m not even sure thats what you wanted but -
theres my 2 cents worth

-mike
btw, feel free to smack me around regarding my last message.

-mike

"btw, feel free to smack me around regarding my last message."

Isn''t that a given? =)

-----------------------------

1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock."

2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
-Dan Quayle

4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
-----------------------------1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock." 2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." 3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Dan Quayle4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
Smack! Is that enough? You were very general which does make it hard for me to argue but then again i think that i was guilty of that too. Smack, ouch! No i really didn''t smack myself

I''ve got to disagree about the puzzle bit on the basis that i did find them enjoyable when i was younger but i don''t as much these days. I''m not talking about the same puzzle just puzzles in general. I think an important varaible in the equation thats missing here is "conditioning" to an environment such as cards, boards or computers. I''ve also meet people who are over 40 and still play AD&A table-top. I''ve got to think some more before i go one as i think i''ve made a mistake, but please add what you will or critise.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Ummmm... define mature... 40s... 50s... 60s...

Better not be 30s!!!! (Well, okay, I'm almost 30...)

I think what you're talking about has nothing to do with age. It's personality. There are some 18 yo guys who wouldn't touch a computer game to save their life... football's more interesting, or skeet shooting... or whatever.

I have a friend who was the QA director of a couple of major gaming houses who's now 49 and playing Diablo II like a madman (with his wife, no less). Here at work I see several 30 and 40 something guys who are also drooling over Bone Spirits and Necromancers and Amazons (oh my! :D). I think it's the same with, say, science fiction and fantasy novels. You've got guys in their fifties who just love 'em, and 15 year olds who can't stand 'em.

Now, I'll grant you that as I grow older I seem to want more intellectual content in my games. You can't just tell me, "Go forth and kill the evil Zerzons!!!!" like you used to be able to. Now you have to tell me, "the Zerzons are caught in the middle of a vicious religious struggle. At the bottom of Earth's now evaporated oceans, some factions hid a..." (You get the idea.)

I think that since I now know the world's not such a simple place, I get a kick of of games that give me realistic complexity. But as far as relating to strange elements, this is more one's level of "xenophilia" than maturity. You won't get hardnose business execs playing Half-Life, now matter how mature they are... (their game is Deer Hunter... ack!!!! )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on August 12, 2000 10:04:30 PM

Edited by - Wavinator on August 12, 2000 10:06:38 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Yes,as someone grows older he wants more intellectuality and even surrealism in a game.He is not satisfied with simple jump and shoot.

But there''s one very peculiar fact:
We may not enjoy the new childish games but we would gladly play again the childish games we played as children!

I know i''m having a really good time playing super mario,bubble bobble,prehistorik and other games not famous for their matur content.Simply because i loved this games at 12!

You know i was returning home last night at 4.00 am from some nightclubbing(we may be the poorest in the EU but we spent more money in entertainment than any European )and i had a little chat with a friend of mine about old games we used to play on his computer.
Well as soon as i got home the first thing i wanted was not sleep but to play Doom II!

Oh my god,what fun!

-----------------------------------
Why do i care about mature content?I''m still 18 and have a life in front of me.
Unless God has a different opinion
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Hey! I still play Doom II! And Wolf3D for that matter! I love those games because they bring back so many memories... I especially love killing Hitler countless numbers of times

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Well i guess the term "Maybe i''m just getting old" is irrelevent when it comes to computer games. Maybe it''s more a case of "I''m getting fussier as i age" which is a personal opinion and thus relevent?!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement