🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPGs only medieval?

Started by
50 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
Why are so many RPGs only medieval? Do you think that it''s simply the only setting we as players demand? Or are developers justing doing what has worked for years? (Or has Gary Gygax and Wizards of the Coast put some kind of Satanic spell on the game industry?) It''s gotten to the point that when I see a new RPG I mutter: YAMG... Yet Another Medieval Game... -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Or maybe you could come to the conclusion that RPG''s were based on Fantasy due to its wide appeal at the time. Then when computers came along to pick up the game, they took fantasy with it. Because they have done it poorly I have to say that it is loosing its appeal, but only fantasy?

I have to say that NOT all RPG''s are fantasy, in fact, there are a lot of futuristic RPGs out there, you just have to be able to recognise them and understand them.

Personally though, I would like to weild the unknown... Magic... Not weild some scientifically explained huge gun. But that is just my personal opinion, although I think that there is far too much klik''n''kill and klik''n''kast in fantasy RPG''s for my liking.

Enough bitching, more coding

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
I still plan on doing that RPG with the modern setting...

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
I used to play and DM pencil and paper RPG''s such as AD&D with the different settings such as Ravenloft, Spell Jammer, and Forgotten Realms (all TSR.. err.. whatever Magic the Gathering company is called) and many more....

There''s Shadowrun which is a futuristic RPG..they even made a SNES game too. There is probably more out there just visit your local hobby store.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

Ooops!!!! I should have written *C*RPGs.

I''ve seen a ton of different RPGs in my local game store. Old West, science fiction, cyberpunk.

But for some reason, the majority of CRPGs are medieval. What''s up with that??? Are medieval CRPGs just EASIER to design?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I am beginning to think that France is not that unhappy when it comes to paper RPG.
There are HUNDREDS of games that exist, or existed.

To name a few genres, med-fan (fantasy), space opera (sci-fi), cyberpunk (see William Gibson books), post apo (after the disaster), horror (Chtulhu !!!! and now all the White Wolf stuff, you probably know of Vampire the Masquerade, X-files (I am not sure how to classify, but basically a LOT of games based on Conspiracy theories ... that would be the actual trend).

Now add all the crossovers, (Fantasy/Cyberpunk for the excellent Shadowrun, Horror/Conpiracy for Delta Green, Western/Horror for Deadlands, etc)

all the unclassable (Castle Falkenstein ! Höl ! Murphys World ! )

and you''ve a nice picture of what Hasn''t been explored by CRPG ...

in fact, I''ll just say that my opinion is that most RPG games, having been done by americans who have only played AD&D since it existed (I don''t blame them for this, this game has been around since 1974, is american, and is still the biggest seller worldwide if I remember correctly), not having ever thought that there could be *another way* to do it, jsut applied the tried and tested method, without ever wondering "what''s missing ?"

Do you wonder ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
The medieval time period has alot of ideas that most companies could use in their games and that''s why most RPGs are in a medieval/fantasy setting. Dragons, wizards, knights etc etc, now what could you take out of the Stone Age and incorporate it into an RPG? Not alot, in other words... companies take the medieval time setting for it''s the easiest to manipulate into what they want. At least that''s the way I think....and the way that I think is usually wrong.

Oh yeah, what''s the Santa Claus Icon for? Hell, what does most of the Message Icon mean?

Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
Ranged weapons are somewhat difficult to do in a TRADITIONAL RPG setup.

Note, you title says Medeival, when most CRPGs aren''t medeival at all, they''re fantasy, which is entirely different. I''d kill to play a REAL medeival RPG, but alas...
Just curious... but what would a -real- medieval RPG actually look like?

And even if fantasy is the easiest to grab cool (if overused) concepts from, it seems like the science fiction genres would have a lot of potential... cyberpunk, space opera, post-apocalyptic... I could see any of these as RPGs. Most of the futuristic RPGs I''ve seen are more like science fantasy than science fiction... but then again I haven''t really gone looking.
Personally, I think that futuristic RPGs are better. But they can have wierd plots behind them. Thats because i kindda like medivel/futuristic RPGs (eg. final fantasy 7).
Medival RPGs are somewhat getting old, and there is way too many of them, that''s why the companies in these days are making present/futuristic RPGs (eg. final fantasy 8 and 9, Grandia, and more i cant think of), and people love them. But I think if you make a medival RPG, the plot would be better than a futuristic one, i dont know why, but it just is...that''s why i am writing a game with Medival and futuristic games within...
trust me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement