🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Weapons Encyclopedia

Started by
100 comments, last by SatanAngel 23 years, 5 months ago
It had to be done so i''ll do it. I wanted to make a thread where we can all add our favourite weapons to a list. Just feel free to talk about any weapon you like or have thought up. Here''s a few i''ve been thinking about: FPS: The Acid Gas Pump - held like a flamethrower that shoots acid gas in a long or short range spray. The advantage of this weapon is that it keeps damaging your opponent after the initial attact. The disadvantage is that it doesn''t do to much damage on impact. FPS: Proximine FPS: Lazer trip mine FPS: Chain gun, it''s just cool Minethrower from Incubation was an excellent weapon, i hope it returns someday. Guidable rocket launcher from halflife. I don''t mind the fly-by-wire in Perfect Dark either. I would like to see a mini-pluto rocket laucher used in a fps as well. That would really rock. That enough from me for now. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
LOL! Love the title

I have to say that my personal favourite is a great Dwarven Axe! Split you in two .

But you''re probably talking about futuristic right? So I vote for the chainsaw... very messy and a lot of fun in a Saw-off in Doom II

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Instead of throwing a grenade, throw a pumpkin. You could throw it at people, and it would make them think about how silly violence is, and while they are thinking you can throw a real grenade.

Edited by - Caffeine on August 1, 2000 11:27:38 AM
ROFL! I like it ... How about a grenade IN a pupkin? That would cause some amusement...

Check our site:
Other ideas include:
Dog Mine - Don''t pet em!
Laser guided corpse cannon (Recycle! Recycle! Recycle!)
RPG - Rocket Propelled Gonorrhea
Fruitcake Shields
Bulletproof Guns

Railguns. God I just love the beautiful trails they leave

For close quarters, how about a big claymore. That''ll be great. Slice you in 2 (just like the battle axe but i like swords more).
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
No, it doesn''t have to be futuristic at all

I got a few funny one''s too... remember worms.

The nuke from worms: you''d hit the button to fire and all you''d here is the american anthem which drizzled off quite humourly towards the end. [claytons weapon]

I also love the crowbar from halflife, it was just so violent.

Did anyone ever see the concrete donkey from worms. It was just this huge huge huge concrete donkey that would slam through the terrain from top to bottom taking out anything that got in the way. It was like "I got the concrete donkey, you''re dead!"

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Best weapon of all time overall in any game?

The Katana... and the entire daisho in general.

I don''t count Daikatana either... before anyone mentions it.

Eric
==============="Or a pointed stick!"
Hehe

Rather than giving you meaningless names, here are some types of weapons; mix them and you get tons of very interesting weapons easily. The slightly different effects are not very interesting (the difference between the Bolter mk II and mk IV, this kind of things)

The weight,caliber :
Close Combat. Can''t be used for distance, either two or single handed.
Single handed. Light, but doesn''t allow a long range, nor a lot of ammo, or damage. Mainly used for Close combat.
Two handed. Standard gun, more ammo, range and power.
Heavy weapons. You guessed it, more ammo, range and power, but limiting your movement and what you can carry. Either carried on the shoulder or the hip. Can also be fixed on a support or mouted on a vehicle.

The damage types :
Ballistic: Use bullets, pellets, shell, etc. The size and contents of the bullets can vary greatly. Armor piercing, improve penetration while diminishing the damage (in terms of gore mainly). Explosive, dispersive. Less penetration, but much more damage (that''s the "small hole in front, no back ..."). The area of impact can also vary if you have several projectiles at once rathe than one (pellets vs bullet). This make a big difference in range. The pellets would be for assault, close combat, while a single very stable bullet would be used by a sniper gun.
Rate of fire is very important because it affects the probability of jamming (ever played a Paintball game ?), overheating problems (which affects the precision of the fire, mainly), and of course consumption of ammo.

Plasma : ionised particles projected at various speed for various effect. The slowmo green ball of the BGF2K to the slightly faster fireballs of the Quake Arena''s plasmagun, to the continuous very high speed stream of energy of an Ion Frigate in Homeworld
A nice example of gun is the Volcano Cannon from the Epic 40K boardgame. The gun can destroy a 30meters high Titan in one shot, but it needs a whole turn to cool down, and the attacking Titan can''t do anything else for the next turn (due to the energy consumed for one shot).

Laser : concentred light. It seems that concentrating it into "shots" slows it down ? Either a continous stream of low intensity or short shots of higher intensity. Problems of overheating (eve played Elite ?)

Fire : Flames, napalm, phosphor. The heat is a very effective way to stop an enemy. Very cool gun if you want to always be in front line for assault (you really don''t want a flamethrower behind you).

Electricity : a bit redundant to plasma, since electricity ionises particles... but you can have electric blades, stun guns, where the electricity is used for its "stunning" properties rather than their energetic value (like for plasma).

Poison,acid : dipped blades, gas, needles. Can be corrosive, paralysing, lethal, transmissible decease, etc. You have to see the Trenchers and Young Guard from Warzone boardgame (Target Games), even better, the Horses with a gas mask from Dark Eden expansion, plain cool.

Other ideas ? I can think of others things, but they are more devices than guns. I''ll write that later.

Some ideas with this (taken from my days at Space Crusade, Space Hulk, and the like) :

The cyclone.
A module fixed on the heavy armour of some soldiers. Launches a cloud of midgets rockets at short distance. Very effective in closed spaces. Barrage weapon. Not easy to reload (don''t think you could in the rules).

Thunder Hammer. Electrified hammer, crushes and stuns.
Power Sword. A kind of laser saber, cuts through enemy armour like a hot knife through butter.
Chain Axe. An axe with a chainsaw blade. sweet. Cuts limbs or causes massive hemoragies. The Sword model is also available.

The Conversion beam. Aim a wall, shoot. A ray of energy goes through anything until it meets a wall, then damages with an energy proportional to the distance of the wall. Reaching 0 at the emission point (HalfLife''s egon gun, GhostBusters).

Plasma Gun. "Load. Load. Load. *BLAST*". A good example would be the plasma clouds created by the insects in Starship Troopers (God that film was good).

Sonic blast. Think the screaming dogs in Halflife.

Vortex grenade. A localised wormhole. There is no way out of this, just run, and pray that the hole doesn''t start moving, or worse ... growing.

Kustom gunZ. Ork specialty. You get several weapons in one, or an indecently boosted one, but it gets easily jammed, has a chance of stopping functioning, or worse, explode in your face.

The weirdboy effect. Not a gun, but a psychic power from those WeirdBoy (Ork psychic).
Basically, every ork has a psychic potential, and when they gather around a receptive psychic (such as the WeirdBoy) the energy surge created has to be released. The more orks, the more powerful the release. Usually in the form of a big energy blast. Problem, when there are too many orks, the poor WeirdBoyw can''t stand all this energy, his head just explodes and a massive psychic energy explosion stuns everybody around.

Mmmmh, and that''s just of the top of my head, now I''ll browse through my books

youpla :-P

ps : Oh yeah, Explosive Sheeps RULEZ !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw

ps : Oh yeah, Explosive Sheeps RULEZ !

You have been playing TOO much Worms

Check our site:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement