🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using dragons in a real-time strategy game

Started by
24 comments, last by Beavt8r 23 years, 11 months ago
What''s up, people? I was thinking of game ideas recently, and I came up with an idea. I love dragons, and thought that a game with only dragons would be cool. I thought of starting out with just a basic dragon available and later wings, fire, ice, and other "evolutions" would be available to have new breeds of dragons at your disposal. I would like to have any feedback you have. Ideas, comments, disagreements, whatever! I would like to have some opinions. Thanks.
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
Advertisement
I too think dragons are cool,
but making a game entirly populated with dragons?
Would they talk ect? It might get a bit boring.
I would suggest using other mystical creatures as well, e.g. Griffins, Leviathans, Giant eagles ect.

Also, check out my game project on DX++ (link below) it has some rather good dragon drawings by me.

DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
I actually like the idea of an all dragon game. Perhaps involve small towns of people that have a "fear factor" towards a particular dragon. Your brood would continually grow and evolve as you get your treasures from the neighboring towns'' tributes... etc. Furthermore, your soul purpose would be to beat out the other broods. You would have to face difficulties such as "heroes" who challenge your dragons or maybe a revolt of a city... and of course the opposing brood which wishes to take your cities (and the maidens and tributes that they give their brood). I really DO like this idea. Let me know if you want more ideas or if I''m totally off-scope. I would help with your project but I''m involved in a project already and am strapped with time...

In any case... great idea.

Enoch
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
Sounds interesting. You might want to look for a bestiary as these dragon-like creatures all have specific names. I don''t know which is which off the top of my head, but to name a few: Wyverns, Drakes, and Wyrms. Also, I thought it might be worth while to differentiate between Western and Eastern types of dragons.
I think a lot of research needs to be done in this matter... for example, maybe there is a dragon that can only come out at night? Each dragon may have an absolute weakness... etc... This idea has pretty good potential.

Enoch
unless I am sorely mistaken, we started the categorization thing around Dungeons and Dragons. In the myths, legends and fables where dragons originated, I hardly think they bothered to classify different kinds of dragon since they never appeared in numbers. The names of the various "types" of dragon are actually just regional names, or names of individual dragons taken from various myths.

Go ahead and do the classifications if you want, but don''t think they are by any means authentic. This is the Middle Age people... PER Rennaisance. Nobody even bothered classifying REAL animals, much less imaginary ones.

=====
Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
Freakshow,

that's not the point of whether or not they were named in the olden days... For gameplay issues it would be a lot easier to differentiate a Red Fire-breathing dragon and a Red Melee dragon as names (pulling these from my arse) than a dragon and a dragon. See the point?

Now, I can see hiding these names too... Maybe just giving dragons names and not knowing their true abilities? That could be interesting. Who knows... *shrug*

Enoch

Edited by - EnochDagor on July 17, 2000 7:48:32 PM
Thanks for the great feedback! I was trying to get the details fine-tuned (like talking, towns, riders, etc...) so you guys have been a big help! Keep on responding. EnochDagor, those are some really good ideas. Thanx. And Freakshow, I didn''t intend for this game to be "politically correct" with the history of dragons. This IS just a game, you know.
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
I know I''m still sort of Ogre Battle praising, but I think the game applies here for part of this post.

I don''t know if anybody remembers the old SNES Nintendo game Ogre Battle, but it had interesting things with dragons.

First of all, all the dragons had different pictures so you could tell what kind of dragon they were. So, even without the name showing, it should be fairly obvious (hey that''s a black dragon...)

Second, the dragons evolved into different forms based on their path in life. "Good" Dragons became Silver Dragons, and then later evolved into Gold Dragons if still "Good", and later still became Platinum Dragaons if they were really "Good"

All that aside, I think their should be a dragon for all the elements. A game populated with dragons has got to have a large variety of dragons. Maybe even have some hidden types. Have Thunder Dragons and mystical Lava Dragons and stuff like that. And don''t just say ***** dragon (i.e. Black dragon, Gold dragon, Silver dragon, Thunder Dragon, Blue Dragon), more interesting names would be good too, like... the Triyars, or something. Oh, and it would be cool if the player could be any of those dragons that he ran into. Oh course, if a player could be any dragon, you would have to have some way of balancing out the different races of dragons, or else every single player is going to be the powerful Hurricane Dragon, and no one will touch your well thought out Pepple Dragon.

Note that my post seems to assume that this game will be an RPG. Now an adventure game or a Platform game WOULD work... but... somehow a game with a civiliation of dragons and evolutions and different forms of dragons and stuff like that just seems to shout out RPG. And if you, or somebody, does make it an RPG, the different races should be thought out, don''t just have the black dragons who spit acid, and the red dragons who spit fire, and leave it at that. Give a little more detail.

Blada blada blada, hope my post was helpful.

-Blackstream

"See you later, I'm going to go grab a few Bytes. I'm so thirsty, I could drink a whole data stream."
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage
Hmmmm, hello it''s me again.

Actually I think that a RTS works good too, espcially since if you have units, then a player could experiment with all sorts of different types of dragon, instead of playing a game as a silver dragon, quitting, then playing the game as a black dragon...

I still think, though, that thought should placed into the creation of the races.

Lets see, more input....
Since it is hard for dragons to build anything (no thumbs) they would probably have to live in caves or trees or something. Unless you made a race of dragons that had a thumb...

The rest of the game depends on how barbaric or how civilized you want these dragons to be. You can have complex cultures, with ideals, rituals, and stuff like that, or you have have the Neaderthal, get all the knights loot and get everyone elses loot too, type of dragon. Heck, I think that some races of dragons should be civilized, and others should be barbaric.

I think that maybe the dragon should have a mortal enemy they always fight with, like the Wyverns or something. Hmm and maybe magic casting dragons, and then the brute strength dragons, and then the fast agile dragons...

I guess when I''m trying to say in the midst of all my rambling is that diversity between the different races of dragon should be done.

blah blah blah, hope I helped you out some more.

-Blackstream

"See you later, I'm going to go grab a few Bytes. I'm so thirsty, I could drink a whole data stream."
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement