🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pascal vs. BASIC

Started by
11 comments, last by prh2000 23 years, 11 months ago
Other than the more advanced compiler option, the C like syntax is there any advantage to using a Pascal exe over a QB4.5 or PDS 7.0 exe? Thanks Patrick
Patrick
Advertisement
but why use any of those when you could use C++ or java?
Why ask questions?

------------------------
Captured Reality
Mr. Anonymous has the right of it, if you ask me. Pascal and BASIC are evil!

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Visual Basic lives
8-)
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
I''ve programmed in both, and I would say Pascal is far better (unless you a complete newbie, in which case QB4.5 might be easier, but not by much). Pascal makes much faster exe''s, has access to more functions, and unlike QB you can easily incorpate assembly (for mouse routines, optimized graphics) without having to mess about with creating object libraries and the like (which is silly, why should you need a second compiler just to use the first effectively). Pascal will as prepare you ALOT better for learning languages like C++, since the structure is almost identical, except for strong typing and the use of different syntex.
I agree Pascal is relly better.

Pascalix;
Pascalix;
Yeah, definitely go for Pascal; I think it is actually easier to learn than BASIC, and it will definitely teach you a better programming style due to it''s syntax, and, well it''s just better! I mean, AFAIK, QBasic doesn''t even have Pointers...

--------------------------

Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
My opinion:
PASCAL is a BASIC facing towards C.
If you understand what i mean.

I think PASCAL is better than BASIC but as for their Win32 implementations(VB and Delphi) i would certainly go for VB.

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Well Now,

I have used Pascal for the last 6 months. It is very structured and fairly simple to learn. Also it''s pretty close to C which makes it a great stepping stone. I have found it a great adavantage when learning C.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement