🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Poll on RPGs

Started by
10 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by runemaster

I''d like to know your opinions on the following subjects

1) What do you prefer, epic(Might and Magic etc) or realistic(Fallout) stories/worlds ?

My prefernece is irrellevant. Any player will like any story so long as it is delivered well, and the base material is good.
quote:
2) How detailed should a Role Playing Game be in the player''s interaction with the world ? Console-style RPGs are totally unrealistic.

Console RPGs are not totally unrealistic, they simply limit your ability to make choices in that reality. From the CHARACTER''s prespective (not the players) Console RPGs are entirely realistic. That is, matters of characterization and plot strucute aside.
quote:
3) What''s your favorite NPC interaction interface ?
My favorite is Fallout''s.

If it suits the game/story, I like it. My favorite game EVER doesn''t allow for ANY player decision in interaction. In any other game, it might be really crappy to just sit back and watch conversations, but this game pulled it off. It was suited to the system. So be it.
quote:
4) Should the player create his own character or should he start with a predefined one like in Final Fantasy ?

Again, it''s a consideration of your goals as the creator of the game. In my abovementioned favorite game, you had absolutely ZERO say in character creation/characterization. Normally bad, in that particular case good! I all depends on what you and the player want.
quote:
5) What''s your favorite RPG, and why ?

Panzer Dragoon Saga. Production quality of a high end film, good cinematic technique, freaking unbelievable characterization, wonderful story, innovative combat system, superb graphics (at the time), HUGE (four CD set), unified theme in all aspects of production. The best ending of any game ever.

This game actually has only ONE weakness in my humble opinion. There is a portion during the middle of the story where there is NO challenge at all. You have 2000 units of life, and monsters take about five away with an attack. Snore. Other than that one part, this game is FREAKING BEAUTIFUL, beginning to end. Was the reason I got into this wacky career of game design.
Advertisement
1) Epic story in a coherent world.
OR Emotional (?) story in a coherent world.

2) I must be able to talk to anyone about anything, use body language and facial language.

3) ... None.

4) mix Like what I did. Predefined character appearance with player made background.
(The player have to play the ''marking'' events of the characters life. This will modify the character traits and skills,[and optionnaly pschology])

5) ...I''m afraid, I''ve to say Final Fantasy, even if it''s not an RPG.
Why ?
Nice story, great music, impressives battles, great FMV, and one of the few games in which I get emotions from
(Aeris death in FF7)

Worste RPG :
Baldur''s gates.
Using AD&D rules to the letter when the books tell the MD to ignore rules that don''t fit to their world.
Totally unrealistic reaction to traits.
(I''m Apollon and still people talk to me as if I was looking ''normal'')
Unrealistic world. (Too many things to mention)
Ugly gfx and battles.
Poor soundtracks, ridiculous 4year old story.

Notice that IF Diablo2 is considered to be an RPG IT IS THE WORSTE.
Just two things about it :
-People all have the same size (If not I couldn''t use their armors)
-Mosquito wear armors and gold coins...

All IMO.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement