🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Poll on RPGs

Started by
10 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 11 months ago
I''d like to know your opinions on the following subjects 1) What do you prefer, epic(Might and Magic etc) or realistic(Fallout) stories/worlds ? 2) How detailed should a Role Playing Game be in the player''s interaction with the world ? Console-style RPGs are totally unrealistic. 3) What''s your favorite NPC interaction interface ? My favorite is Fallout''s. 4) Should the player create his own character or should he start with a predefined one like in Final Fantasy ? 5) What''s your favorite RPG, and why ?
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
1) I don''t think Fallout has a realistic world, but it has a coherent world ( like PlanetScape ).

3) Fallout

4) I prefer create my own character.

5) Fallout 2: no linear, good story, a not elf & globin world, fun, a lot of easter egg, a lot of quest can be solved in different way, no class system, the character can gain XP when he/she use a skill ( not only in combat ), etc...
1)A combination of both(realistic plot with epic elements)

2)Realistic enough.I mean it shouldn''t make you think "hey,how can one man kill thousands(without a nuclear weapon )?" or "how can i carry a dozen of weapons in this little bag of mine?"

4)I think predefined is the best.A hero shouldn''t be "fully customizable".He starts with some standard abilities and that''s it.Those abilities may change only within a games plot.

5)Can''t really say

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
I have to agree with Chagarou for most of it. Fallout is awesome. Oh, and the Sims interface is great, too - where your options sort of organically change depending on unknown but consistent factors.

I don''t think epic style versus gritty realism matters so much as whether the world is consistent and fully realized. The problem with a lot of epic games is that they don''t come up with a unique and consistent vision - they''re often carbon copies of something else.

As for gritty realism, few people will ever fault you for copying the world.

- gollumgollum
1. epic means "large size" to me. I prefer any setting that allows for good game-play. Real, fantasy, or otherwise. If I had to choose, I''d select larger-scale stuff over unit based.

2. The player''s interaction with the world should be pretty limited. This is an RPG, so make the interactions be with the Other Players.

3. NPC''s suck.

4. That depends on the game. Either is appropriate based on your game design. In a void, I''d prefer a base character that I can later customize as I play.

5. I don''t like RPG''s as they''re currently written, so I usually go for RPG Light, because they''re easy to play. e.g. EverQuest and Diablo.
1) don''t really know how to answer this Q...I like medieval settings.....

2) everything that will fit the purpose of the game, and maybe a few extras (easter eggs), but nothing else.

3) Fallout 1&2, hands down. Do other RPGs even have NPC interaction?

4) I like creating chars, it lets me get more involved with the char, and play the role that I would like to play.

5) Tough, Fallouts are up there, Daggerfall had so much potential...now that I think about it, I think the new Vampire game is the best, just because of it''s GM capabilities.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Well Now,

1.) Epic, as big as possible , but I don''t want to be bored though.

2.) Like Torment/Baldurs Gate, realistic enough for me.

3.) Fallout.

4.) Yes.

5.) I loved FF8, but Torment and Baldurs gate are both good too.

Decisions...Decisions.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
1) Epic, fantasy, goblins, orcs, half-elves, bards, dragons... you get the point

2) The features you implement, complete them and make them work! I''d rather see 3-4 unique ideas than a dozen that suck. You can''t make the most complete rpg out there just add a few new ideas to the genre and be happy. I''ve read alot of posts in these forums about realistic this, and realistic that. Rather than running around in a gigantic world with NPC:s collecing fish and bread, then running here, invent a random quest here for realism sake, make good quests that are well thought through beyond: go give this piece of rice to XXX so he can eat.

3) Does fallout really have a unique NPC interface? It''s much like adventure style games back in the 80''s. But I''ll say that the interface is ok and works. Seriously the interface in full throttle rox, just think about it and bring it up a few levels, i''m not giving any hints *whistle*

4)Create his own, btw in my opinion multiclassing sux.

5)Bards Tale 3, it did somethine new when it came. I''m still waiting for a good RPG this decade.
1. Who says an epic game can''t be realistic, epic to me means that the story is grandiose in some way (like you''re out to save the world etc.). Realism is still good, or at least being coherent.

2. Hmmm.... difficult question, I guess that a lot of interaction is good so long as doesn''t inhibit gameplay unecessarily, i.e. easy to use interface. There should be alot of dialog and stuff, I don''t like linear dialogs.

3. No idea....

4. I definitely want to create my own character. Ok... sometimes it might be better with a premade character, makes for easier plot-customisations.

5. Eye of the Beholder No seriously, I like it, though mostly for nostalgic reasons I believe. Baldurs Gate is pretty good, though I don''t like the AD&D rules, especially the class system and murder-based experience system. Should have more skills and xp given when (un)successfully using a skill etc.
Anonymous Poster --> actually, in the real AD&D game you would propably get experience for using a skill (I, as a Game Master, do give my players experience for that).You even get experience if you do something in a smart/original way.Baldur's Gate is not really all that AD&D like.

This Day All Gods Die

Edited by - runemaster on July 14, 2000 6:38:11 PM
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement