🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why programmers add cheats to games.Does this ruin the game?

Started by
14 comments, last by Voodoo4 23 years, 11 months ago
Programmers usually add ways to cheat in their games. This happens from the older games until today's games. Are they placed i)for fun, ii)to make it easier for the player or iii)for both? Well,i like when a cheat serves in enjoying more a game,for example another secret level or a secret car/weapon/character. I liked in NeedForSpeed 2 the hollywood track and the extra car Or in Fifa2000 the UFO above the field! But where is the fun when you become a God or when you advance imediately to the next level or when you posses all the weapons? Especially advancing levels is very irritating!(my opinion only) I was playing a game once(i think it was Megalomania,i'm not sure) where you possesed a nuclear weapon while the others where just primatives!It was fun to see the strange effect of this but it really ruins a very good game. You will say "well i do whatever i want and since i want in a game to be God then it is not of your bussiness". OK but then you are not playing what you bought are you? I vote for cheats that make the game more enjoyable and cheats that are really funny I vote against cheats that give you the advantage of a God or cheats that "finish" the game for you Voodoo4 Edited by - Voodoo4 on 7/7/00 12:47:18 PM Edited by - Voodoo4 on 7/7/00 12:49:40 PM
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Advertisement
My guess is that most cheats are used for debugging. Say you have a problem in the tenth level of a game. It''s gonna be sombody''s job to get into that situation many times, from many different angles, to try to replicate or isolate the problem. Are they going to want to play the previous nine levels every time? Nope. Cheats let youget where you need to go in a game, without having to plowthrough earlier or more difficult parts every time.

gollumgollum
That's right, DEBUG .. When a game is being released that's not debugging any longer... I hate the cheats in half-life and the rest of the games I play on-line...

Edited by - Gladiator on July 7, 2000 2:32:57 PM
quote: Original post by Gollum

My guess is that most cheats are used for debugging. Say you have a problem in the tenth level of a game. It''s gonna be sombody''s job to get into that situation many times, from many different angles, to try to replicate or isolate the problem. Are they going to want to play the previous nine levels every time? Nope. Cheats let youget where you need to go in a game, without having to plowthrough earlier or more difficult parts every time.

gollumgollum

Yeah I think that''s the main reason for cheats. Then they just leave it in the game for fun or because it would be complicated to try taking them all out.

What surprises me a bit is that so many games make the cheats right in a readme file.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Cheats are usually left in because the coders are lazy.

The lazy way:
// insert cheat codes herelfjadlskfjlasd blah blah blahasdlkfjadsfj blah blah blah// end of cheat codes 

If they were thinking properly:
#ifdef __CHEATING// insert cheat codes herelfjadlskfjlasd blah blah blahasdlkfjadsfj blah blah blah// end of cheat codes#end if 

I agree with you about the cheats but a lot of times cheats are used when develpoing the game and then are not taken out. I do agree though about the god mode thing and especially the levvel thing. I mean why do you even bother playing a game if you can not lose, no challenge... Kudos to you.
--klown

It''s go time.
It''s go time.
Why cheats are left in:

1) God mode is fun to take out aggrovations with, but only on games you''ve beaten

2) Not everybody suffers from ADS or has spasmatic reaction times, so the programmers left some cheats so those people can turn a few cheats on and progress to the next level.

3) Modders like god mode to test out maps.

4) Patch people can use the same version of the game to reproduce bugs quicker if they can cheat.

5) It is a good tool to learn to be better in strategy games. I kicked AOE up into hardest gear and ran the ''no fog'' and ''reveal map'' cheats to see how the AI built things. I learned a lot from a dummie.

6) Finding hidden cheat codes and the like generate hub bub on the forums, thus generating energy over a game. A game talked about a lot on a forum gets a lot of free advertisement.

There was an article in 1996-7 about this very topic, and I think that #6 is the only one I recalled being from the article. 1996 was just before moddable games really caught on.
If you don''t like cheats don''t use them. I don''t.
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...
I agree completely with whirlwind but would like to add that in the early days, games were written in 100% assembly, so debug cheats were left in because they feared taking them out might break something.

Now they seem to be used for press fodder, to get free press ("Exclusive Cheat Codes!").
Other people do... and that really sucks in multiplayer mode... doesnt matter what game it is.. they''re cheating and they dont have the right to do so...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement