🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Oh my God, they killed Kenny!

Started by
11 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 12 months ago
No this is not about South Park. I''ve taken a look at some Adventure game articles, and the most recent ones say that the adventure genre is dead. I then got a hold of some dates, and it seems like when Sierra stopped making their adventures, KQ, SQ, QFG, LSL, ect, everyone else who made them slowly stopped. Do you think Sierra killed the adventure game genre? ............ Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
Well, I guess Sierra made all the good adventure games, and when they stopped, the competition couldn''t make their games as cool.

---

P.S. Just a reminder, I''m convinced we could spice up any game genre here at GameDev!

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Well, if we spiced it up, would people buy it? It seems like most people are looking to other games for enjoyment.

Guardian Angel Interactive
Actually I think LucasArts continues to produce some very good adventure games. The Monkey Island games were great, and I really enjoyed grim fandango. Monkey Island IV is on production
In my opinion Sierra made several mistakes in their adventure games making them alot worse then lucas arts:

* Death. Its'' an adventure game not an arcade with lives.

* GUI: sucked

* Counted points of completion. 5/38398

Sierra flopped with the last Kings Quest, now its up to the real KING Lucas arts to show if Monkey Island can make a snappy deal.
What''s wrong with Sierra allowing a character to be able to die? QFG was fashioned somewhat like an RPG making it all the morre funner.

I do believe that MoE wasn''t a very good game.

Guardian Angel Interactive
The way some characters died in the sierra games was quite amusing...

Hmm... and isn''t Gabriel Knight 3 an adventure game? Never played it...

J2xC (J. Connolly)

"Then study this: Borg provokes Klingon, Klingon breaks Borg's nose" Belanna Torres, Star Trek Voyager 5.11 "Someone to watch over me"

J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
Although I have never liked the idea of the main character being able to die in the adventure games, I liked Larry 6. It gave you, upon death, the opportunity to try again the event which resulted to your (Larry''s) death. Very user-friendly.

Larry 7, in my opinion, was the last ''good'' adventure game ever made. While many people like Grim Fandango, I think that controlling the character is awkward. I have never really been into 3D games (with Rainbow Six as the exception). Making adventure games in 3D is merely an attempt to ressurrect/modernize the genre.
http://www.codeflow.fi/
quote: What''s wrong with Sierra allowing a character to be able to die?

Well first off it''s just my personal view. A game where you all of a sudden pick up some silly item on the floor and all of a sudden it explodes and you are dead is REALLY a good game. *whistle* It sux, talk about good game design.
Well, I believe I have something to say about dead adventure games...

First of all, I believe that Sierra didn''t kill adventure games. They did really cool adventure games, and as someone already noticed, no one had more experience about adventure games, but Sierra.

If people would create shareware adventure games, would those sell? In my opinion: YES, absolutely!

In other hand, would the game sell enough to cover the mess and stuff when the game was created? No, adventure games don''t sell THAT WELL... But:

I believe that shareware creators should create adventure games if they are interested about creating one. You don''t need to be a coder anymore to create adventure game, atleast not a "serious coder", because there are about 20 different Adventure Game creation kits / engines, which actually do look really cool. One of the best looking ones is Scramm, but there is no release date yet... darn.

Anyway, there are engines to speed up the creation progress, and actually the only reason why people don''t create adventure games is that those games need lots of graphics, and lots of hand drawn graphics. This needs lots of work, and many artists who have samekind of vision.

In other hand, there are very well made shareware adventures. Two of these are Teen Agent, which has good humor and nice puzzles, and another one is Igor: Objective Of Uikokahonia, which seemed to be really professional stylish game (read: Lucasarts stylish). I believe that both games are freeware nowdays...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement