🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Post your latest bots!

Started by
30 comments, last by cowsarenotevil 20 years, 8 months ago
Here''s mine (both versions 0.03 and 0.035). It consistantly gets stuck, and shoots... badly.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
Harhar, well, you beat my (currently) stationary bot I had a better one, but I gimped it and I don''t know how to fix it anymore, so I started over fresh. Hopefully my experience in working on the first bot will give me some new ideas for this one. I''ll post it in awhile, once I at least have the movement code done.

I posted this before, but it''s not TOO difficult to get "unstuck". In its prime, my first bot, ''Flint'', rarely got stuck on anything more than a few seconds (not great, but at least he could get out) Any time he moved, I added to a variable in my bot class called ''DistanceTraveled''. Since no map really has a long span of open terrain, you can assume that if your DistanceTraveled reaches a certain point, you are stuck on something that you can''t see. If you turn, it resets DistanceTraveled to 0. Once you reach some level, you can write some code to reverse and turn, to "unstick" yourself. The key is finding the best ''maximum distance traveled'': if the distance is too large, you will be stuck for a longer amount of time. If it''s too short, you will find yourself backing up and turning at the wrong time.

Just throwing an idea out there; hope it''s useful.
Peon
Someone must be able to post their bots. You were all to eager with version 0.02.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on August 21, 2003 2:42:12 AM]
hey ive been looking at this thing for bout an hour, reading just bout everything there is, pretty F-ing cool!!!!!

so far I made a "bot" (yeh...) that can walk forward while turning left and firing, until it runs outta ammo, it actully wins by defualt cus the two other bots I was able to find and DL just get stuck and I hit them bout 3 times and they dont hit me ;-)

yeh I know this is EXTREMLY basic, i wont even bother posting the DLl obviously,

I CANT WAIT to see what people who know what they are doing make some bots, and plz convert the "HandBot" to v3.5 plz,

ill be lurking here, seeya around
quote: Original post by cowsarenotevil
Someone must be able to post their bots. You were all to eager with version 0.02.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on August 21, 2003 2:42:12 AM]

im not posting the newest version of dustbot till he gets more functionality. the first version i posted was a simple reactive/state machine bot. my current version has internal mapping and pathfinding done. but he still needs to be able to deal with walls in his internal map (he can find them, just doesn''t know what to do with them yet), and he needs to be able to fight and make combat decisions. once i have this stuff worked out i''ll post him again.

-------------------------------------------------------
A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

(author of DustBot)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
quote: Original post by drreagan
...im not posting the newest version of dustbot till he gets more functionality...

Can you just repost it so that people without version 0.02 can try it?
Here is my first attempt at a bot.
It wanders about randomly bouncing off stuff.
Shoots at other bots if it can see them and randomly throws grenades if it feels like it.
Bob
wow Bob is a pretty good bot, nice job man
i've uploaded a v35 WASD key-controlled bot here

o WS or UP/DOWN for fast forward/backward
o C for normal forward
o LEFT/RIGHT for turning
o AD for strafing
o RF to raise/lower bomb angle
o 1 to select gun
o 2 to select bomb
o 3 to toggle auto-aim
o 4 to toggle auto-fire
o ESC to quit while game is in play

o auto-aim has no prediction
o auto-fire is continuous so bombs run out pretty fast if left on

o proximity indicator via taunt (this is off a bit for small rocks)

o attempts to use a keyboard hook before using GetAsyncKeyState

i'm also going to upload a v35 version of Leftie if i can fix a problem or two. the current version for download is a v2 bot.

[edited by - flipper76108 on August 22, 2003 11:24:32 AM]
all right! thx for posting and upgrading KeyBot for the newest version, very cool bot to play with, and cant wait to see how LeftTie performs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement