🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Role Playing?! Bah!

Started by
34 comments, last by Facehat 24 years ago
Paul, you''re a smart guy, but that''s as close a thing to surrender as you''ll ever hear out of me. =p
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
It''s a very interesting thing what you said about the crossed music Landfish. It makes me think of how simplicity works in a strange way. How much of all that crossed music stuff is any good anyway? think there''s a certain need for simplicity in the human heart which dictates to us what we like and love.

I''d like to read a poll/s one day taken on the reasons why people listen and like all that mixed up combo music, i think it would be interesting.

Hmmm, that''s my thought for the day.

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Actually, I totally agree with you. However, online RPG''s involve much roleplaying. Otherwise, I agree with you.
D:
Somewhere out there paul, there is a dedicated grind-core fan whose very sad to think of people like you, who don''t believe in him. =)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote:
Actually, I totally agree with you. However, online RPG''s involve much roleplaying. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Do they? I''ve found that almost all my time in a MMORPG is spent leveling and collecting stuff. Sometime when I feel like it I might try to sell some stuff also. Every once in a while, I''ll even go on a quest. But is any of that role-playing? If I were to describe that to someone who never played an RPG, they''d probably think I was playing some sort of boring merchant game .

I do agree that MMORPG''s have the potential to allow you to roleplay, but thus far I haven''t seen anyone really roleplay. In fact, nobody I''ve seen in online RPGs have even *tried* to roleplay. Most the time the chat box is just filled with "WTS gold bracelets for 25pp!" (which often get''s the response of: "I''m not paying u 25pp for those!"). Or maybe you see: "looking for group to go to go to Orc camp 1. Send tells".

Admittedly, both those examples were from everquest. But it''s just as bad in Ultima Online, and I seriously doubt Asherons call is any better.

Flame away!
Eh, guys? Are you really talking about renaming PRGs?

haven´t you got something better to do?

I guess I´m gonna hafta make a RPG now, just out of spite.....
Actually, i''ve never played a RPG and i don''t even know what it stands for? Can someone help me out here, please.

... roll [saving throw] for IQ check! damn, i rolled a 19. Yeah, that''s the way rpg''s work. Stupid huh?

If you missed the point here don''t worry, you just failed a saving throw of some sort. Or did you? :-)
I am ...
*rolls dice, looks through 23 lookup tables, consults GM, has long hard look at character sheet*
... offended at that last post.

That''s ROLL-playing. Real Role-Playing doesn''t even need dice, or a GM, if you have a good bunch of players. But I guess that''s a whole different discussion.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:
That''s ROLL-playing. Real Role-Playing doesn''t even need dice, or a GM, if you have a good bunch of players. But I guess that''s a whole different discussion.

different discussion? you''ve probably got the plot better than any of us here:-) i use the computer next to the doctors office when i''m let out on weekends. You should see the walls in my asylum, lots of funny scriblings :-)

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Madkeith is right. Those kinds of games tend to be way more enjoyable. I just wish we had a school of computer game based off of that style instead of Truncheons and Flagons.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement