🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Try out my first game

Started by
7 comments, last by JD 24 years, 1 month ago
Hello all, Well, I've made a fairly simple 2D game that I like you to try out. It's freeware. My website is not finished but there are screenshots of the game and a download section under Games option. Download is 600kb in size. Let me know if there are problems with the game on your computer. If everything goes well, I will release the source code in couple of days. To run the game you must have windows9x and DirectX7 installed. Once you download the extracting exe file click on it and choose a directory where to install the game. Then click on the game exe file to play. Enjoy! Jerry Website: http://www.crosswinds.net/~blueorbsoftware/index.html E-Mail: BlueOrbSoftware@mailcity.com Edited by - JD on 5/7/00 2:15:28 AM Edited by - JD on 5/7/00 8:35:16 AM
Advertisement
Don''t bother linking to pictures stored on Crosswinds ...
Hehe, cool game man if a tad hard.
Perhaps im just a bit crap
Funny game tho.
Great guys, so it wasn't a total waste of my time making this game

I'm really green when it comes to making websites, actually this is my first site I've ever made and in one day too. Html is pretty cool. I went with crosswinds because they don't put up ad banners and in effect if I wanted to I could make money by posting ad banners myself

Seriously, I'm glad that at least one person calls my game fun because it never meant to be in the first place. Actually, I wanted to include everything in DX like ddraw, dsound, dmusic and dinput and learn this stuff along as I went. As I coded more there were always "jeez, what if I do this, nooo that would break the code" but I did it anyways and am surprised that the code hasn't fallen apart yet It has so many large holes that you could probably walk a herd of elephants through it and there would still be larger holes to fill.

Anyways, thanks for playing it and let me know of any problems you might have with running the game or otherwise. Thank you.

Jerry

Edited by - JD on 5/7/00 6:36:42 AM
JD,

What is your game about? I''d much rather hear what it''s about first before I download it.

Thanx,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf, I thank for your interest

You are a captain of an U.S.Navy airship patrolling nearby coast of Hawaii (not historically most acurate but what the heck)while looking out for any suspicious ships. A russian navy ship makes its way toward you and you must stop it from coming nearer the island. The ship is shooting missiles at you and so you counter attack by droping bombs i.e. basically trying to stay alive by evading the missiles.

I programmed some physics into it so that when you stand still the bomb will drop straight down, but when you move you have the ability to loft or toss the bomb at the russian ship. You do this until someone dies and the game ends. It's funny, sometimes the random number generator for missile creation is pretty good and the ship will mercifully try to destroy you. That's it in a nutshell. Basically, I made the game for novices like myself that could learn from it and from the beginning I always thought of the game as an open source thingy. Try it.

Jerry

Website: http://www.crosswinds.net/~blueorbsoftware/index.html

E-Mail: BlueOrbSoftware@mailcity.com

Edited by - JD on 5/7/00 8:34:00 AM
Good work! Quite hard though that Russian ship really blasts those milssiles like a mad monkey!
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
He, he

Thanks for your kind words. Soon after I upload the source code to my webpage you''ll be able to adjust the rate or speed of various objects. Curiously, I wonder if the game plays too fast on some people''s computers. I hooked all anims and movement to a timer so maybe that your machine is faster than mine (I have cyrix PR266mhz) and thus the game plays smoother since it''s able to process sound computations faster. The fps only measures the time it took the frames to render and doesn''t include the time it took to process other info like playing sounds, physics, colissios, etc. Once I''ve timed all this stuff but the game was more jerkier so I went back to timing only the rendering part.

Thank you for playing.

Jerry

*** UPDATE ***

I've made the source code freely available for downloads for those who want it Visit my website, the code is located under Games option. The download is 1.31Mb. Enjoy!

Jerry

Edited by - JD on 5/7/00 6:55:53 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement